“The purpose of the Aperture Portfolio Prize is to identify trends in contemporary photography and highlight artists whose work deserves greater recognition”.
For each entry, you may submit any number of images, provided you do not exceed 15 images.
When examining competition entries, Aperture’s editors and curatorial staff will consider the following criteria:
• Is the work new, i.e., created in the last five years?
• Is a theme or topic carried throughout the portfolio in a consistent manner?
• Do the individual images have strong composition and strong use of color or tone?
• What technical and presentation choices has the photographer made, and are they appropriate for the work? For example, is there a clear reason for using sepia-toned black-and-white versus a digitally enhanced palette?
• Does the body of work take an innovative or unique approach to the subject matter?
Current Aperture members (at the $50 level and up) do not have to pay the registration fee to submit work to the Portfolio Prize.
First prize is $3,000 and an exhibition at Aperture Gallery.
The first-prize winner and up to five runners-up will be featured on Aperture’s website, accompanied by a brief statement written by Aperture staff.
2nd December 2015