Hacking mars challenge is organized by Microsoft and The Martian. It’s the year 2035. Astronaut Mark Watney is stranded on Mars. The best minds on Earth are joining together to help him survive. What would you do? One small, unmanned spacecraft will carry the winning solution to Mars.
Check out how to #HackMars and bring Watney home. Submit your design for a chance to win $25,000 and a trip to Microsoft to experience HoloLens.
How to #HackMars
Form a team
- Maximum team size is 3 people.
- Choose people with a range of expertise. This can include designers, engineers, psychologists, physicists, and more. A diversity of perspectives will help you address the human and technical aspects of your solution.
Start your challenge
- Review the three challenge topics, listed above. Use these as a starting point for your work. It’s okay if your final idea ends up being outside of these exact categories or a mix of more than one.
- Behind each topic is one simple hypothesis: If you design a solution for a person who is facing extreme constraints, the final solution can benefit a wide range people. The key is to think about the problem in terms of universal human needs and motivations. Things like survival basics, social connection, and a sense of belonging.
- Brainstorm a solution made specifically for Watney, but think of how it could also benefit large numbers of people on Earth.
Design a solution
- Build sketches and prototypes of your solution. You don’t have to solve every detail. But it should be generally feasible with near-future technologies. Prototypes can be anything from paper illustrations to quick physical models to software demos.
- Create a 3-5 minute video to explain your process and solution. Your video should include 5 things:
1. Introduce your team, your areas of expertise, and why you participated in this challenge.
2. Clearly communicate the challenge and demonstrate how your solution works.
3. What makes it valuable to Watney?
4. How it could benefit more people on Earth?
5. Tell us about your process. What did you learn along the way?
Submit your design
- Be sure to review the full set of “Details” for this challenge before submitting your final video.
- Promote your project using #HackMars and follow @MicrosoftDesign on Twitter for updates and announcements.
- Three finalist teams will be announced October 24, 2015. The grand prize winning team will be notified in early November and announced mid-November.
Deadline:- October 13, 2015, 11:59PM EST