Following the successful International Conference on Nuclear Security: Enhancing Global Efforts held in Vienna, Austria, in July 2013, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is organizing a second conference in this area — the International Conference on Nuclear Security: Commitments and Actions — at its Headquarters in Vienna, Austria, from 5 to 9 December 2016.
This second international conference on nuclear security will not only provide a timely global forum in which the progress made in strengthening nuclear security worldwide can be reviewed and future developments discussed; its results will also serve as important input for the preparation of the IAEA’s next Nuclear Security Plan, which will cover the period 2018–2021.
- IAEA invite students and early career professionals, aged 35 years and under, to submit an innovative and original essay on the future of Nuclear Security: Commitments and Actions. To inspire essay topics, applicants may choose to refer to the Conference Webpage for a list of high-level themes and technical session subjects for the Conference.
- IAEA encourages women and nationals from developing countries to participate in the essay competition.
- IAEA also welcome those involved in the multiple disciplines supporting Nuclear Security including, but not limited to: practitioners of science, engineering, law, political science, international relations and other legal, policy and technical disciplines associated with nuclear security.
- Length: 2,500 words and under
- Format: Word document, submission by email to NUSECessay2016@iaea.org. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for details.
- Limit: One entry per person
- Language: Any official language of the IAEA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish).
- 3 winners will be presented with cash prizes of €2000 and a certificate signed by the Director General of the IAEA.
- In addition, all 3 winners will receive flight tickets, accommodation and daily living expenses to attend and present their papers at the International Conference in Vienna, Austria (5-9 December 2016).
- The essays will be posted on the IAEA Conference Website with a link on the IAEA Conference App for the duration of the Conference.