Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs announces its eighth annual International Essay Contest, open to teachers and students anywhere in the world. The Esssay Topic for this year is:“Is nationalism an asset or hindrance in today’s globalized world?”
Nationalism as used here is a broad term and can be viewed in terms of patriotism, economic nationalism, national identity that holds a diverse country together, nativism, a movement that ideologically separates a nation from a supranational organization, or any other logical way you think fit, as long as you define it clearly.
Some suggested areas of focus
- The growing, weakening, or lack of nationalism in a specific country and its effect on ethical choices made by leaders.
- A comparison of nationalism of two or more countries and how it affects their people, economy, etc.
- An analysis of nationalism in a specific country in the past and today. Has nationalism in this country changed over the years and is it for better or worse? Why?
- Who does nationalism benefit in a specific country? The leaders, elites, middle class, or the poor? Why? Is this fair?
- How does nationalism relate to globalization? Are the two mutually exclusive? Do they have a cause-effect relationship?
You are not limited to the suggested areas of focus but your paper must answer the question stated in the essay topic.
The essays are judged in three categories: teachers and graduate students; undergraduate students; and high school students.
- 1st prize: $250 Amazon Gift Certificate;
- 2nd prize: $150 Amazon Gift Certificate;
- 3rd prize: $75 Amazon Gift Certificate