Students have a unique way of looking at the world, which makes them well-qualified to offer creative solutions to design challenges.
The Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition is intended to enlighten students about the many design advantages and infinite application possibilities of aluminum extrusions.
Enter your unique and original design in the 2021 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition. Show off your talent, ingenuity and creativity by designing components, systems, products, or product assemblies that feature aluminum extrusions. You may earn a scholarship award for your winning design!
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as a student in high school, college/university, technical or design college, or graduate school.
Designs must be original and use at least one extruded aluminum component. Multiple entries may be accepted. If any category yields no entries deemed by the judges to adequately address the competition’s criteria, a prize will not be awarded in that category.
Winning entries will be those that best demonstrate the benefits of aluminum extrusions – whether by inventing a new product or improving an existing one, by achieving the following objectives:
- Creativity – Innovative design, new or expanded application capability, methods to meet a new design challenge.
- Practicality – Ease of fabrication and assembly, cost-effectiveness, integrated or multi-functionality, use of extruded aluminum over other materials and/or processes.
- Product/Process Advantage – Product/process improvement: product design versatility or customization capability, improvement of extrusion processes, close tolerances, takes full advantage of extrusion’s abilities to improve a product.
- Market Impact/Potential – Product design marketability, clearly identified product use(s) within the target market, and likelihood of market success.
A panel of aluminum extrusion industry professionals will judge the competition entries in Spring 2021. Winners will be notified following judging via the email listed on their entry form (so write legibly!). For complete rules and criteria, visit www.aec.org/CompetitionRules.
- First Place – $5,000
- Second Place – $4,000
- Third Place – $3,000
- Sustainable Design – $3,500
For more information or to apply, please visit the official website.