The African Innovation Foundation (AIF) is delighted to announce the call for its 2017 Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA) applications. The IPA honours and encourages innovative achievements that contribute toward developing new products, increasing efficiency or saving cost in Africa. The prize also promotes among young African men and women the pursuit of science, technology and engineering careers as well as business opportunities with potential of contributing to sustainable development in Africa.
The IPA 2017 recognizes innovative breakthroughs that unlock new African potential in the following five priority areas: agriculture and agribusiness; environment, energy and water; health and well-being; ICTs; manufacturing and service industry.
The IPA 2017 will consist of three Awards and support to all nominees which will be given following the criteria outlined above:
- First Prize (US$100 000): The overall winner whose innovation demonstrates the best innovation with clear business potential;
- Second Prize (US$25 000): The innovator who best demonstrates a commercially-driven business innovation. Beyond the aforementioned five criteria, this Award will be carefully assessed on its marketability and commercial potential;
- Special Prize for Social Impact (US$25 000): The innovation that demonstrates the greatest social impact;
- Nominees: The top-10 nominees shall be invited for face-to-face interviews to assess in depth their innovations as potential winners for the IPA competition. All nominees are invited to participate in the awards ceremony and receive certificates.
- In addition, the AIF will also provide a US$5 000 voucher to each nominee that must be applied strictly for purposes of furthering their innovation;
- Nominees also benefit from the AIF-IPA brand, receive ongoing local, regional and international media coverage, and support and training opportunities can be mobilized for the nominees.