Leather hides are imparted different colours based on customer requirements. This colour has a standard formula of making, with definite proportion of various chemicals mixed in sequence. These chemicals are in liquid form, having different viscosities. The chemicals are mixed together in a rotating drum to form a colour which is then sprayed on the leather hides using a spray gun. Each leather hide requires 5- 6 layers of different chemical mixes coated using spray gun at different intervals, each coat having different formula and proportion. Currently in this process, the operator collects the chemicals from the store room, weighs and feeds them into the rotating drum as per the recipe, defined in the SAP system.
This whole task of collecting, weighing and feeding the chemicals to the rotating drum is done manually. Therefore, it is quite inefficient and prone to errors. The operator may either miss out a chemical or use incorrect quantities of the chemical or may not follow a specific order. All this can lead to incorrect colour being imparted to the leather, which will not be known until the first batch of leather hide is coloured. Therefore, we need an automated process of colour making. This automated process should fulfil the following requirements:
- Easy integration with the existing SAP system.
- An automatic system that will take the chemicals from the storage drums.
- The chemicals should be weighed as per the requirements prescribed in the SAP system and fed in proper sequence into the rotating drum where they can be mixed to form the desired colour.
- The system should incorporate a washing mechanism to its mixing drum, wherein the drum should be washed after every cycle of chemical mixing.
- The system should be easy to maintain. All parts should be available locally in India.
- The process must be environmentally safe. The system should not generate any fumes in the mixing process and should not affect the PH level of the chemicals.
Awards:- INR 10,00,000