Welcome to Raccoon City! Sony Pictures is calling on Resident Evil fans to submit digital illustrations for an unprecedented new fan art activation — to create a 1980’s-era Umbrella Corporation propaganda poster for use in the upcoming film, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City!
This new film is a return to Resident Evil’s roots, and as such, Sony Pictures is looking for unique works that draw their inspiration from the original Resident Evil game series and the upcoming motion picture.
Umbrella Corporation, or Umbrella Corp, plays a major role in the storyline of the latest film. In Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City, once the booming home of pharmaceutical giant Umbrella Corporation, Raccoon City is now a dying Midwestern town. The company’s exodus left the city a wasteland, with great evil brewing below the surface. When that evil is unleashed, the townspeople are forever changed and a small group of survivors must work together to uncover the truth behind Umbrella and make it through the night.
The winning artworks will have the potential to be used as a background feature within a sequence of the film. The artwork, if placed in the scene, is meant to appear as a promotional advertisement for the Umbrella Corporation, and should eerily feel both duplicitous and safe. The illustrated “propaganda poster” should first and foremost represent Umbrella Corp as a 1980s-era pharmaceutical company. The artwork should depict the company as “an influencer of good” for the people of Raccoon City, but with subtle hints to the possibility of underpinnings of nefarious intentions.
- Key themes to include in your submission:
- Thematic elements from the original Resident Evil game series and the upcoming motion picture. We want to see your passion for the franchise come through in your work!
- Depicting Umbrella Corporation as the main focus of the propaganda ad poster art in which Umbrella keeps a “clean and professional” public image.
- Depict Umbrella Corporation as a pharmaceutical company first and foremost.
- Your works should resonate with global audiences and fans of the Resident Evil film franchise.
- Designs must be submitted according to the following specifications:
- Digital illustration, High res JPG/JPEG/PNG – min 300DPI, 3:2 horizontal aspect ratio, highest resolution possible.
- Do create artwork that stylistically reflects a dystopian form of 1980s typography and graphic trends, while staying true to the “duplicitously safe” brand of Umbrella Corp.
- Do reference/draw inspiration from the official Umbrella Corp logo, as depicted on the “Welcome To Raccoon City” sign image in this brief.
- Do make your Umbrella Corp propaganda poster “evergreen” (universally relevant).
- If your design features people, they should be featured in a nondescript way, and their inclusion should make sense for the work. For example, people would help Umbrella Corp convey a “trusting and safe” public image.
- Do not depict any actual individual person or likeness to any actual individual person in your work.
- Up to 10 Winners will be selected, and the Selected Creators will each receive $2,000.
- Selected Creators from international markets may have their “propaganda poster” featured in the theatrical release of the film for the version released in the country of their permanent residence.
- Additionally, the Selected Creators’ works may be featured in official digital, social, and print campaigns in support of the film.