The Food Sustainability Awards for the Media 2017 is an international competition for journalists launched by the BCFN in collaboration with the Thomson Reuters Foundation to choose the best articles, photos and videos on the subject of sustainable food. The Food Sustainability Media Award aims to recognise the work of professional journalists and emerging talent from all over the world for excellence in reporting and communicating issues related to food security, sustainability, agriculture and nutrition.
The are three award categories:
- Written journalism: This category recognises excellence in written journalism for a news/feature article published in print or online that addresses topics, stories or issues related to food sustainability through distinctive, accurate and original reporting.
- Videos: This category honours exceptional video content that sheds light on stories related to food sustainability through visual storytelling and/or investigative journalism and creative use of video. Entries will be judged on their quality, impact, innovation and creativity.
- Photos: This category is for outstanding photojournalism through either a single photograph or photo series on key themes or issues related to food sustainability. Entries will be judged according to effective use of photography, overall impact, composition, artistic merit and originality.
- Winners awarded for their published written, photography and video work will receive a €10,000 cash prize;
- Winners awarded for their unpublished written, photography and video work will receive an all-expenses paid trip to attend a Thomson Reuters Foundation media training course on food sustainability.