Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program offers nearly 470 teachings, research or combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries. Applications for grants (Journalism) for the academic year 2020-2021 are now being accepted. The purpose of this award is to provide opportunities for both junior and senior journalists working in print, broadcast and digital media to become better informed about Japan.
- 350,000 yen per month
- Family allowance: 50,000-100,000 yen per month, depending on the number of accompanying dependents
- Housing allowance: 120,000-200,000 yen per month, depending on the number of accompanying dependents
- Estimated Travel and Relocation Allowance
- Roundtrip international travel arranged by Fulbright commission for the grantee and a primary dependent who accompanies the grantee on a grant of nine months or more
- Baggage allowance: $300-$500 for Japan-bound and 60,000-100,000 yen for U.S.-bound, depending on the length of the grant
- Settling-in allowance: equivalent to one month’s housing allowance (120,000 yen to 200,000 yen)
- Estimated Book and Research Allowance
- Research allowance: 300,000-500,000 yen, depending on the length of the grant
- Research travel allowance: 30,000-100,000 yen, depending on the length of the grant
- Special Award Benefits
- Honoraria for guest lecturing may be accepted under the terms of the award.
- Fulbright Scholars in the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) region have the opportunity to apply for funds to support short-term (3-14 days) travel to other countries in the EAP region for activities such as lectures, workshops, graduate or faculty seminars, master classes or recitals, curricular advising or panel presentations.