Operators working on Live LT Network (440 Volt), mainly on PCC (Plain cement concrete) poles, use advanced PPEs like Apron/Jacket for protection against electrocution resulting from exposed upper body part to live LT works. However, the residual risk of exposure to the face still remains. The face may accidentally come in contact with the live wire or a flash could adversely affect the eyes. Flash is a very common risk associated with working on a Live LT network. Thus, additional protection to cover the face with a Full Face Visor is required.
We have used the commonly available Full-Face Visor which is made of Acrylic Plastic Material. However, these visors are prone to frequent scratches and damages which result in blurred vision. In order to improve the visibility, we have developed a visor with Polycarbonate material having an anti-scratch coating. There is scope to further improve the quality of the visor in terms of anti-scratch property, durability, visibility and simultaneously making it cost-effective. Thus, solutions are sought which can meet the Solution Requirements stated below.
- The Visor material shall be able to withstand an electrical flash of intensity from 8.0 Cal/cm2.
- It shall be easily attachable and detachable from the existing Safety helmet.
- The visor should be integrated with the safety helmet in a manner that it goes inside the helmet after use. This will minimize the scratches induced in the visor during storage.
- It shall have strong resistance against scratches.
- It shall be able to provide complete coverage of the face.
- It should be resistant to internal fogging from the user respiration system.
- The expected life of the visors should be at least one year.
- It must comply with relevant IEC/IS Standards and pass the statutory requirement of testing from reputed NABL Lab as a whole product in line with IEC/IS Standards.
- It must be cost-effective. The products available in the international market are costly (ranging from INR 6,000-10,000) making them economically non-viable.
Awards:- INR 1,50,000