- Comprehend the foundations of modern finance.
- Understand the basics of corporate finance, capital budgeting, real and financial options, capital structure, yield curve analysis, and corporate risk management.
- Apply financial decision making, the theory of efficient markets, valuation theory, financial securities, risk analysis, portfolio theory, derivatives pricing, hedging strategies based on duration and convexity, and asset pricing models.
- Identify the basic structure of financial reports and the process of recording transactions. Understand how investors, creditors, and other users analyze financial statements to assess corporate performance.
- Perform applied computational techniques in R and apply advanced mathematical topics in financial engineering and quantitative finance using linear algebra, optimization, probability, stochastic processes, and statistics.
The skills and expertise required for a career in finance are in high demand across countless industries. From asset management, to corporations, to official institutions, the career opportunities for qualified finance professionals continue to grow and evolve. For example, demand for financial analysts is predicted to grow at a faster than average rate of 11% through 2026 (Source). And according to Glassdoor, the median salary of a quantitative financial analyst was $106,575. (Source)
The MITx MicroMasters® Program in Finance offers recent graduates, early to mid-stage professionals, and other individuals interested in pursuing a career in finance, an opportunity to advance in the finance field or fast-track an MIT Sloan Master of Finance through a rigorous, comprehensive online curriculum, delivered by the world-renowned MIT Sloan School of Management.
Drawn from the STEM-based curriculum taught on campus, all five online courses in this program mirror on-campus graduate-level MIT coursework and cover the following topics: modern finance, financial accounting, mathematical methods for quantitative finance, and derivatives markets. Learners who complete and pass each course in this online program may earn a MicroMasters program certificate in finance, and are considered affiliate members of the MIT Alumni Association. Those learners are eligible to apply to the MIT Sloan Master of Finance and upon acceptance, earn credit for the work performed online.
Courses in MIT MicroMasters Program in Finance
- Foundations of Modern Finance I
A mathematically rigorous framework to understand financial markets delivered with data-driven insights from MIT professors.
- Foundations of Modern Finance II
Learn fundamental principles of modern finance, including valuation models, methods for risk analysis, derivative instruments and investment management.
- Financial Accounting
How do investors, creditors, and other users analyze financial statements to assess corporate performance. Learn financial accounting, how to read financial statements, and input valuation models for better corporate finance decision-making.
- Mathematical Methods for Quantitative Finance
Learn the mathematical foundations essential for financial engineering and quantitative finance: linear algebra, optimization, probability, stochastic processes, statistics, and applied computational techniques in R.
- Derivatives Markets: Advanced Modeling and Strategies
Financial derivatives are ubiquitous in global capital markets. Students will obtain a sophisticated understanding of valuation methods; tools for quantifying, hedging, and speculating on risk; and a basic familiarity with major markets and instruments.
- A recent report by IBM and Burning Glass states that the demand for data-driven finance positions accounts for 19% of all job openings in the finance industry.
- Quants can make anywhere from $125,000 to $500,000 + in the field of finance.
- Demand for financial analysts is predicted to grow at a faster than average rate of 11% through 2026.
Certificate & credit pathways for MIT MicroMasters Program in Finance
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who earn a Finance MicroMasters program credential may apply to the MIT Sloan Master of Finance Program, and upon acceptance, would be credited 42 academic units. It will allow the students to waive the summer term in residence.
The American University of the Middle East (AUM) will offer the credential holders of MITx MicroMasters program in Finance the possibility of earning up to 10 credits of the 49 total required credits towards the completion of the Masters of Business Administration.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) will also offer a pathway for credit for MITx MicroMasters credential holders in Finance towards the completion of RIT’s Master of Science in Professional Studies .
The School of Business at Royal Roads University (Canada) will offer credential holders of the MIT MicroMasters program in Finance the possibility of earning nine of the total graduate credits towards the completion of a Masters of Business Administration in Executive Management or a Master of Global Management (MGM).
The University of San Francisco (USF) will offer the credential holders of the MicroMasters program in Finance the possibility of earning up to 8 credits of the 36 total required credits towards the completion of USF’s Master of Science in Applied Economics.
Duration:- 1 Year 3 months
Cost:- $ 2025