THE 2017 CONTEST IS NOW OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
It’s your time to shine! Submit your best new product designs in up to seven categories for a chance to win $20,000, other great prizes, and global recognition. There’s no cost to enter.
The Create the Future Design Contest was launched in 2002 by the publishers of NASA Tech Briefs magazine to help stimulate and reward engineering innovation. The annual event has attracted more than 12,000 product design ideas from engineers, entrepreneurs, and students worldwide. The contest’s principal sponsors are COMSOL and Mouser Electronics with Analog Devices and Intel as supporting sponsors. Category sponsors include Maplesoft and Schneider Electric. The contest is produced by Tech Briefs Media Group.
The Contest opens for entries on March 1, 2017 and closes July 1, 2017 (referred to herein as the Contest Live Period). Entries must be received by 11:59 pm ET on July 1, 2017. For your entry to qualify for consideration, you must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the Official Entry Form and upload at least one image with your entry.
- Choose one of seven categories for your entry:
- Aerospace & Defense — Product innovations with applications in the aerospace, aviation, and/or defense markets.
- Automotive/Transportation — Products that enable movement of people and goods from one place to another.
- Consumer Products — Products that increase quality of life in the workplace, at home, during leisure time, or while traveling.
- Electronics/Sensors/IoT — Products that improve computing, communications, sensing, test, and other fields that rely on advances in electronic components, boards and systems; products that enable an interconnected world – the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Machinery/Automation/Robotics — Products that speed, improve, and/or automate work, manufacturing, and research & development (R&D).
- Medical Products — Products that improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare.
- Sustainable Technologies — Products that reduce dependence on non-renewable energy resources, as well as products designed for other purposes using environmentally friendly materials or manufacturing processes.
- Provide a description of your entry (up to 500 words) in the form of a technical abstract, in English. Your description should cover how the entry works, what makes it novel, how it would be produced, and where it would be applied. You will be judged on these criteria:
- Innovation (50% of score) — What makes the design novel? Does it represent an important advance over current state of the art?
- Manufacturability (25%) — How easy would it be to implement? Can it be cost-effectively manufactured/produced?
- Marketability (25%) — Does the idea have practical applications? Is there a well-defined, significant market for its use?
- Upload at least one (but no more than three) visual illustrations. File type options: PDF, GIF, JPEG, PNG, EDRW. The visual illustration(s) should complement your entry description and can be drawings, photos, charts, or CAD images.
Entries submitted without an illustration automatically will be disqualified, no exceptions. We cannot accept PowerPoint presentations, white papers, or other documents as illustrations. All descriptive text should be entered in the space provided on the Entry Form. Text on illustrations should be limited to captions or call outs.
Video: You also have the option of submitting video to support your entry (limited to one video per entry). Maximum length: three minutes. First, upload your video to YouTube, Veoh, or Vimeo. Then, when you complete the Entry Form, provide the link to the video where indicated on the form. We cannot accept any video files by e-mail. Video is optional and will not factor in the judging for the major prizes.
Prototypes: It is NOT required to have a prototype of your product. However, if a working prototype does exist, please indicate this where asked on the Entry Form. Entrants are encouraged to include an illustration of their prototype with the entry materials.
Awards:- $20000, category awards and 10 public awards.