New Zealand Scholarships are prestigious scholarships for people from developing countries to study in New Zealand and the Pacific. The scholarships foster and build potential leaders, as well as equipping individuals with skills and knowledge to benefit their home country. You’ll study with students and lecturers from around the world, and build life-long connections to New Zealand and a global network of leaders and high achievers.
New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS) give candidates from selected developing countries an opportunity to gain knowledge and skills through study in specific subject areas which will assist in the development of their home country. NZDS are funded by the New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand Government’s overseas aid and development programme. They are managed by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
The program has six scholarship schemes, reaching a total of over 90 countries. The priorities for support often include agriculture, renewable energy, fisheries, disaster risk management, and other areas related to natural resources and environment.
New Zealand Development Scholarships are available for the following qualifications:
- Postgraduate Certificate (6 months)
- Postgraduate Diploma (1 year)
- Master’s Degree (1 – 2 years)
- PhD (3 – 4 years)
Awards:- Scholarships are open to candidates from specific African, Caribbean and Latin American countries, and from Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal and Timor-Leste.
- Africa (Commonwealth): Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Dijbouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Asia: Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal, Timor-Leste
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela
- Caribbean: Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago.