The Department of Technology and Innovation, University of Southern Denmark in Odense, invites for applications to a 3-year PhD position on the topic of digital port operations and sustainable Roll-on-Roll-off (RoRo) shipping. The starting time is January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter, and the location is at the main campus in Odense as well on the premises of industrial partners.
The successful candidate is expected to work actively in work package 5 (WP5) of the RoRoGreen Project funded by Innovation Fond Denmark (IFD) – Grand Solutions and conduct application-oriented research with a team of industry partners in the RoRo-shipping sector.
The aim of the RoRoGreen project is to bring Denmark and EU a step closer to competitive and sustainable RoRo-shipping via implementation of digital technologies for cargo stowage and port operations which can enable cost-efficient GHG emission reductions. Efficiency gains for port operations is expected to reduce emissions for cargo handling operations in terminals, and will together with quality stowage decisions, have a direct impact on vessel speed, as well as fuel consumption and the costs related to sailing.
WP 5 will assess current state of RoRo port operations and the business and environmental impact. To do so, port activities and emissions sources will be mapped and sustainability key performance indicators (KPIs) will be identified and developed. WP5 will also support other work packages in evaluating impact of developed / tested digital solutions, innovative work processes and alternative green / sustainable port technologies on set KPIs and future emissions. Data science and statistical methods, as well as Artificial intelligence (AI) are likely to be used for analysis of current state, building of a sustainability KPI system and assessment of new technology investments.
This PhD position is fully funded by the IFD.
- You will conduct research in the corresponding research area.
- You will work closely with key stakeholders in RoRO terminals and shipping companies in DK and Europe to map current state of digitalisation and cargo operations as well as business, sustainability KPIs and performance
- You will support project and industry partners in evaluating implementation feasibility and efficiency and emission impact of implemented / tested digital technologies
- You will do data gathering, data cleansing, modelling and analysis using state of art statistical / mathematical / simulation software using mainly open-source software like R, Python, SQL Server, etc.
- You will publish and present your work both at international conferences and in scientific journals with high impact.
- You will assist in teaching and project supervision activities.
Profile and requirements
- MSc degree in Operations Management, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Maritime or Logistics Studies or equivalent (equivalent to a Danish master’s degree)
- Being familiar with or having a dedicated interest in exploring the domain of maritime terminal / port / ship operations and sustainability will be an advantage
- Comfortable with data science, statistics, AI and programming languages and willingness to learn new if needed
- Experience with building and executing quantitative models in business / industrial settings will be an advantage
- Very good written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable working both independently and within an international team
- Willingness to do applied science and support project team, industrial partners and overall research project progress
- Interested in longer term commitment to a growing research group
- Comfortable to work with students and to contribute to teaching / supervision of (master) students
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
The research environment is an interdisciplinary environment with more PhD students and where research programs are developed in close collaboration with industry and contributes to the sustainable development within the focus area of manufacturing, circular economy, industrial and supply chain engineering management.
The University of Southern Denmark is inviting all the international candidates to apply for the 3-year PhD position on the topic of digital port operations and sustainable Roll-on-Roll-off (RoRo) for the academic session 2020/2021.
The aim of the RoRoGreen project is to bring Denmark and EU a step closer to competitive and sustainable RoRo-shipping via the implementation of digital technologies for cargo stowage and port operations which can enable cost-efficient GHG emission reductions.
The University of Southern Denmark in Odense was founded in 1998. It is a well-known university with a wide range of traditional disciplines as well as a broad range of business and engineering studies.
Why study at the University of Southern Denmark? The university is helping to provide high-quality learning to all the students. Here the population of approximately administrative staff 3,772 and Students 29,674 are working hard to achieve their future goals.
Do you want to stay updated about latest opportunities, scholarships & competitions like PhD position in Digital Port Operations and Sustainable RoRo Shipping then please install our Android or iOS App here.
The university will provide Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary amounts to 3.378, – EURO per month incl. supplements).