Powdered milk is a cluttered category with minimal differentiation between brands. They all come with products that have similar benefits for kids: protection, growth, or brain development, or all three. It is a challenge for moms to decide which brand will support them on the journey of raising their children.
There is an increasing concern on the environmental impact we have as humans. People are changing their habits to reduce their impact on the environment, and it’s even more true for young parents that are raising the future generations. In parallel, brands are doing their share by adapting the products we love to engage in a more sustainable consumption.
Parents use powdered milk at least twice a day for their kids, hence the importance for brands to adapt and address the environmental issue. This project sponsor has already committed to reducing greenhouse gases and water usage from farm to glass, and, reducing waste and the impact on the environment through ready for recycling or re-usable packaging and by instilling the love of recycling amongst children.
This project sponsor has embarked on a mission to have all packaging 100% recyclable and reusable by 2025. To achieve this ambitious goal, they are looking at plastic alternatives using renewable material, recyclable, home compostable for their product. They need your creativity to tackle a specific issue on their powdered milk products: replacing the plastic scooper that come with every pack by an innovative and sustainable alternative. Can you help?
Help a powder milk brand prepares a more sustainable world for future generations by designing an innovative scooper using alternative materials!
The challenge is to inspire a powder milk brand with innovative ideas to replace their plastic scooper with an alternative and more sustainable solution. Your concept should deliver the same experience for parents, bringing as little disruption as possible to the usage of the product. Ease of use and practicality are important things to consider when developing your design.
We have listed a couple of key criteria that should help you create a winning design. It has to be:
- Disposable: the scooper comes with every powdered milk pack, hence we need something lightweight they can dispose of when the pack is empty.
- Reliable: your design should be a resistant material to prevent spillage during usage
- Accurate: people use the scooper to ensure the quantity of product they use, hence your solution should give an accurate dosing and levelling the milk powder. The average dose the scooper should contain is 18ml powder milk.
- Clean: the scooper will be in contact with the product hence it is important to avoid risk of contamination by not using any glue.
- Sustainable: don’t forget that the objective is to replace plastic, hence you should consider alternative material that are recyclable or biodegradable. And it should use a minimum of material.
- Unique: your concept must be different from existing solutions; it must offer a unique experience that people can only get with this brand.
- Realistic: we are talking about a scooper solution that will be mass produced, so your concept needs to be credible, feasible and not too complicated.
- Experiential: your concept can deliver a convenient experience to parents
Put yourself in the shoes of parents having to prepare milk for their toddlers daily. Morning and before bedtime are key moments when they engage with the product, but you should consider the overall experience from home storage to disposal. Parents expect the product to be straight- forward and easy to use.
Please present your concept with a clear visual execution of your design (computer aided, hand drawn, etc.), you can use up to 2 illustration pages, its description (inspiration, material, colors, etc.) and answer the following questions:
- Explain how your concept design demonstrates a efficient use of material
- How will this idea make the parent’s experience of powdered milk preparation easier and better?
- Is the concept feasible to manufacture, distribute, execute?
- #1 Prize €2,500
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500