Before entering the prize, please read the Terms and Conditions carefully. You may enter two manuscripts to the prize (£10 for one entry, £16 for double entry), either in the same or different categories. You may complete the form more than once if you wish to submit more than two entries.
1. The competition is open to anyone who has not published a book-length work of fiction, life writing, or poetry, except for self-published works or poetry chapbooks.
2. Entries must not have been previously published in any form (excluding live performances or shares on personal blogs or on social media).
3. If entries are published, or accepted for publication, elsewhere between submission and shortlisting, they will no longer be eligible. You must inform us immediately if work submitted to the prize is then accepted for publication elsewhere by emailing [email protected]
4. The competition is not open to members of the Wasafiri Board or Wasafiri staff, or any individual involved in the administration of the prize, or their families.
5. Entries must be completed through the submissions form no later than 5pm BST on Monday 31 May 2021.
6. Failure to meet the conditions of entry will mean that a submission is automatically disqualified from the competition. Entry fee will not be refunded.
7. No entry may exceed 3,000 words.
8. All prizes are for short works, not for novel/memoir extracts. While extracts from longer works are not excluded, they must stand alone as complete works in their own right.
9. A single poetry entry can include up to three poems, which together total no more than 3,000 words, and which must each be submitted as a separate document.
10. Do not write your name or provide any other form of identification on your manuscript or in the document title. All submissions will be considered anonymously.
11. Work must be typed, in a legible font, font size 12, double-spaced, A4, and submitted as a .doc file or similar (no PDFs).
12. Manuscripts cannot be altered after submission.
Entries are considered accepted through our website once the fee is paid. All successful electronic submissions will receive an acknowledgement. If you do not receive an acknowledgement, there may have been a problem with your entry; in this case, check your email spam folder, and then contact [email protected] to confirm successful receipt.
Awards:- The winners of each category will receive £1,000.
Entry Fees:- Fee is per entry: £10 for a single entry, £16 for a double entry. You may make multiple entries if you would like to do so by completing the entry form multiple times. We offer a limited number of subsidised entries at a rate of £6 per entry, which must be accompanied by an explanation of the entrant’s need for subsidised entry. There is capacity for 25 subsidised entries per month during the months that the prize is open (February-May inclusive).