Enel Green Power (EGP), the global leader in the development and management of energy production from renewable sources (wind, solar, hydroelectric, marine and geothermal), has a challenge for you!
Safety is a non-negotiable priority for EGP on all sites, implemented with significant actions. With this approach, Enel leverages on innovative solutions EGP employees and contractors can use to increase their safety in the workplace.
Today, Enel Green Power is looking for the prototype of a smart device that could be easily integrated on excavators and/or drilling machines during normal excavation activities, for early detection of the presence of underground utility infrastructures and automatic warning to the operator when the bucket is close to pipes or cables, with particular attention to powered cables, through visual and acoustic signals.
Do you have a solution and want to take part in this challenge?
Stand out and start a collaboration with Enel!
At the moment, two possible approaches are adopted to detect underground utility services during the excavation activities:
- On-site survey on site to map the underground utilities with traditional systems, such as Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR);
- Checking drawings and excavating slowly and carefully.
How can we detect the presence of underground utility services early, during normal machine operations and timely alert the operator when the bucket is close to underground cables or pipes?
nel Green Power is looking for a sustainable, efficient and cost effective smart device to be installed on machines operating on ground for earthmoving activities, such as excavators, for real-time detection and automatic alert to the operator when the bucket is close to underground cables, with particular attention to powered cables.
- The device should be able to detect underground cables, like power lines, fiber optic and communication infrastructures and/or natural gas and crude oil pipelines, water and sewage pipes made of copper, steel, polyethylene or glass fiber.
- The device should also recognize and provide alerts also in case of proximity to aerial or unburied utilities that could represent an obstacle to machinery movements.
The system should be easy to install and remove, if needed, on/from the machine, and it should be machine manufacturer agnostic.
The device should be powered by the machine’s electrical system.
If you have a solution, apply now!
All participants are invited to carefully read the challenge and the Regulation of this challenge, before submitting a solution.
Furthermore, employees of Enel Group companies that are working or have worked, in the last 12 months, in/with Enel Green Power in the technical sector of the industry 4.0 innovation field and underground utility services activities, or their spouses, partners or any of their relatives up to the fourth degree as identified according to Italian law, are not eligible for the participation in this Challenge.
- The best proposal to meet all the requirements will win 10,000€!
- And there’s more: Enel Green Power could select the best proposals to negotiate a collaboration contract.