Applications for the Rockefeller Foundation-Acumen Student Social Innovation Challenge 2019 are now open. Develop innovative solutions to problems associated with poverty and pitch for a chance to win up to $20,000 plus an invite to a community of experienced entrepreneurs and investors to help you turn your idea into an impactful enterprise.
Acumen, with the support of the The Rockefeller Foundation, is equipping student innovators to solve problems associated with poverty through a global challenge platform. Student teams from around the world are coming together to explore areas of opportunity, develop ideas, and pitch for funding and mentorship. They believe that investing in early-stage innovators can lead to unexpected new pathways for solving some of the most intractable social challenges.
About the Virtual Challenge
In addition to supporting on campus competitions, Acumen and The Rockefeller Foundation are hosting a Virtual Challenge with the aim of inspiring and equipping students from all over the world with the skills and support to solve problems associated with poverty. World-changing ideas can come from anywhere in the world, so they’re hosting a Virtual Challenge for every student who doesn’t have access to an existing campus competition.
There are three phases to the Virtual Challenge:
- In Phase 1, teams of students will enroll in the 6-week Lean Startup online course and submit their social venture ideas.
- In Phase 2, the top teams will join an 8-week Student Social Enterprise Accelerator, where they will be provided one-on-one coaching and participate in a final pitch showcase.
- In Phase 3, the winning teams will receive up to $20,000 to transform their idea into a real-life social venture. They will also be invited to join Acumen’s Community of Social Innovators, an exclusive network of Acumen Fellows, social entrepreneurs, and change-makers.
- Food and Agriculture
- Workforce development
- Financial Inclusion
Are you a university student that wants to solve problems that matter? You’re in the right place.
- Learn about social challenges from experts in the field
- Form a team and an idea for solving one of them
- Refine your idea through online courses and Learning Labs
- Pitch your idea for a chance to win funding, mentorship, and support
The best ideas will win up to $20,000 in funding as well as an invitation to an exclusive community of experienced entrepreneurs, investors, and change agents, who will help transform these ideas into successful enterprises.