With support from its “Special Research Fund” (BOF) Ghent University grants PhD “sandwich” scholarships to promising PhD students from developing countries who wish to carry out half of their PhD research at Ghent University (North) and half at a university in a developing country (South). Ghent University only finances the part of the research that will be carried out in Ghent (24 months), the candidate must have full-time co-funding for the other 24 months of research to be carried out in the South.
- Candidates need to come from – and have the nationality of – a developing country (see country list)
- The proposals must be jointly submitted by a candidate, a supervisor (promoter) at Ghent University and a supervisor at the partner university (South)
- No restrictions are imposed on the field of research, nevertheless preference will be given to topics that are relevant for development
- Only degree students (students who intend to obtain a (joint ) PhD degree at Ghent University) are welcome to apply. Exchange students cannot apply for this scholarship
- Ghent university wants to encourage more female researchers to apply for this scholarship. That is why a Ghent University supervisor can support maximum 2 candidates per call on condition they are of a different gender.
- Co-financing is mandatory with this scholarship, for more details about which co-financing is allowed, please consult the call documents.
- In general the following partnership conditions needs to be fulfilled:
- there must be a local PhD supervisor at the partner university or research center in the South
- A written statement from the partner university is requested stating that the candidate will receive a fulltime local PhD scholarship or salary for a period of 24 months when working on the PhD at the partner university in the South AND
- will be sufficiently exempted from teaching or other assignments as to be able to fully concentrate on the PhD research in the South. Applicants can dedicate maximum 10 % of their time (fulltime appointment) to other tasks (teaching and other tasks)