1) The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular $25 rate. Prior to May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Summer 2021 issue, arriving in June. After May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Fall 2021 issue, arriving September 1st. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension.
2) One $15,000 Winner and ten $500 Finalists will be selected in a blind review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the Winter 2020 issue; one $5,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the Finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written primarily in English (no translations except by the original author). Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere. If you submitted by mail, just call or email to let us know. On Submittable, log in, click on the submission, and send us a message using that system.
4) No identifying personal or contact information should appear on any pages with poems. We can’t know who you are while reading.
5) Entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be edited during the judging process. Send up to four poems per entry. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
6) Manuscripts will not be returned; include a SASE or email address if you’d like to be notified of the results. Winners will be announced September 15, 2021, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2022. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
7) Entries may be submitted by Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
The overall winner will receive a cash prize of $15,000 USD.
Ten finalists will each receive $500 USD, and be eligible for the $5,000 USD Reader’s Choice Award.
The $25 USD entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers).