The Wolfe Pack (a literary organization) and Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine have announced the 10th Annual Black Orchid Novella Award.
Each entry must be an original unpublished work of fiction that conforms to the tradition of the Nero Wolfe series and does not include characters from the original series.
· The mystery should be “traditional” in flavor.
· The crime must be solved using the deductive abilities of the sleuth. No coincidences.
· The killer must be known to the victim. No random psycho shootings.
· The characters (male or female) must have an engaging relationship.
· There needs to be some wit.
· The timing could be retro or current.
· There should be no explicit sex or violence.
· The detective could be a professional or amateur.
· The setting could be NYC or Boston or wherever.
Entries must be in English.
Entries must be 15,000 to 20,000 words in length.
First prize: $1,000 and publication in Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine.
31st May 2016