The National Geographic Traveler World Legacy Awards honor the companies, organizations, and destinations—ranging from airlines to hotels, from communities to countries—that are driving the positive transformation of the tourism industry, showcasing leaders and visionaries in sustainable tourism best practices, and sharing their stories with millions of today’s travelers.
An initiative of the National Geographic Society, one of the world’s largest and most prestigious nonprofit scientific, educational, and travel organizations reaching more than 450 million people worldwide, in partnership with ITB Berlin, the world’s largest travel gathering, the World Legacy Awards offer unprecedented international visibility and promotion.
- Earth Changers: Recognizing cutting-edge leadership in environmentally friendly business practices and green technology, from renewable energy and water conservation to zero-waste systems and carbon emissions reduction;
- Sense of Place: Recognizing excellence in enhancing cultural authenticity, including using vernacular architecture and design, support for the protection of historic monuments, archeological sites, indigenous heritage, and artistic traditions;
- Conserving the Natural World: Recognizing outstanding support for the preservation of nature, including restoring natural habitat, and protecting rare and endangered species, whether on land or in the oceans;
- Engaging Communities: Recognizing direct and tangible economic and social benefits that improve local livelihoods, including training and capacity building, fair wages and benefits, community development, health care, and education;
- Destination Leadership: Recognizing destination stewardship, including cities, provinces, states.