- How to develop programs that are well tested and easy to modify
- To structure the development of large software systems using abstraction and decomposition
- To quickly write and revise code using programming tools
- How to do full-stack software development using an agile approach in a pair or team
- Popular languages Java and Typescript, and the ability to quickly learn new ones
Speed is critical in software development. Successful developers are those who are able to quickly learn new technologies and new software systems, and they do this by seeing any software – in any programming language – as common repeating patterns, not just detailed lines of code.
In this MicroMasters program, you will learn this same kind of expert thinking. By working through several software development projects, you will learn specific technologies, including Java, JUnit, IntelliJ IDEA, Typescript and Node.js. But even more important, you will develop the ability to see the common structures in programs and in tools and learn how to apply these skills to master new technologies quickly.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to write programs using a systematic approach and to design programs that are easy to maintain. You will also learn how to use agile methods in order to build software programs that solve real world problems.
With the skills obtained in this program, you will have the confidence to apply for positions that use any programming language or technology.
Courses in University Of British Columbia MicroMasters Program in Software Development
- How to Code: Simple Data
Learn the secret to writing well-tested and easy to improve programs, that will set you up to master any programming language
- How to Code: Complex Data
Learn how to design more complex programs, using new data structures, abstraction, and generative recursion.
- Software Construction: Data Abstraction
Learn powerful data abstraction and decomposition techniques to build large, complex programs.
- Software Construction: Object-Oriented Design
Learn how to design large software systems that solve real-world problems using object-oriented design techniques.
- Software Engineering: Introduction
Learn how to apply engineering principles, such as Agile, to build a full-stack software system.
- Software Development Capstone Project
Apply all the skills you have learned to work through the challenging and rewarding task of designing a full-stack system.
Certificate & Credit Pathways in British Columbia MicroMasters Program in Software Development
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply for admission to the Master of Science (Computer Science) program at Curtin University. If a learner applies for admission to the Master of Science (Computer Science) program at Curtin University, and is accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards 25% (or 100 credits of the 400 credits) of the coursework required for graduation in the Curtin program.
Eligibility to be accepted into the Master program is subject to the Curtin University Admission Requirements being met.
- Career prospects for people with similar training include software developer, software tester or any quality assurance roles.
- The median salary for Software Development jobs in the US is $100,690 per year. (source: Bureau of Labour Statistics)
- It is projected that 186,600 new software development jobs will need to be filled in the US alone in the next ten years. (source: Bureau of Labour Statistics)
Duration:- 9 Months
Cost:- $ 833