New product design contest on desall.com: Vileda and Desall invite you to submit concept solutions for a new ironing board with innovative and recognizable features from an aesthetic and functional point of view.
Vileda is looking for an innovative ironing board concept dedicated to the mass market (non-professional users) characterized by an added value/premium positioning and an ability to to emerge and immediately differentiate itself from competitors.
You’re invited to develop a solution with:
● a modern and distinctive design, without compromising on the user experience;
● new alternative features that will be particularly appreciated by consumers and which will make it a superior product when compared to current market standards (for ironing boards paired with both iron and iron with boiler);
● optimized ergonomics to make the ironing process easy and simple;
For the correct realisation of your proposals, please take into consideration the following guidelines:
You are invited to design an innovative ironing board to be utilized for ironing clothes and linen exclusively with an iron or steam generator iron (these are the standard ironing methods on the market). The ironing board must be:
● designed to reduce ironing time;
● intuitive and easy to use;
● easy to store away (compact or resealable, featuring a space-saving mode);
● adjustable in height.
The following will NOT be accepted: solutions for electric ironing boards (heated/ventilated or with integrated boiler), solutions that contain electronics in general).
The product will be distributed through standard channels such as GDO/DIY/Electro but also through e-commerce. For traditional off-line channels, the product must be convincing and distinctive for the consumer starting right from the packaging (self-explaining; there will be no advertising campaign to support the sale of the product). In addition, the product, in its packaged form, must be compact to facilitate distribution.
The product must be aesthetically innovative, with a clean, current and distinctive design. The shapes must be minimal and simple.
For color indications refer to the following Vileda products: Vileda Turbo Smart (mop and bucket), Vileda Infinity Flex (indoor clothesline), Vileda SunRise (outdoor clothesline).
The approximate dimensions of the ironing board, when in use, are 120 × 38 cm with a height that can vary between 75 and 95 cm.
As a guideline, the product should not weigh more than 10 kg.
The structure of the ironing board will be produced in stainless steel, painted iron or aluminum; the use of semi-finished profiles or metal processing by bending is allowed. For some functional and aesthetic parts it is possible to provide plastic parts obtained by injection molding. Wood and composite materials should be avoided.
The new ironing board will target the following types of user:
● Busy Families: Families with members between 30 and 39 years old and children up to 11 years old, who have a lot of laundry to iron. They don’t have much time available and, in spite of doing a large number of loads during the week, they try to iron only the most important items.
● Diligent Housekeepers: Typically, these are families with members between the ages of 50 and 65 for which doing laundry is not a burdensome chore. They care about their clothes being well ironed and spend time to achieve this result. They pay attention to hygiene and careful management of linen. They iron most of the laundry and enjoy doing it (it’s almost a relaxing activity for them).
Context of use
The ironing board must be designed for domestic indoor use.
The use of the Vileda logo on your proposed project is NOT allowed. You are invited to insert a placeholder logo on visible surfaces of the product. The placeholder logo is available in the material files that can be downloaded from the contest page.
Upload detailed descriptions and a series of images to best present your projects. The images visible in the gallery (maximum 5) must have an aspect ratio of 4:3; accepted file formats: .jpg, .gif or .png; color mode: RGB; maximum single file size: 1MB. During the upload phase of the project, you are invited to upload a .zip archive containing the 3D files and high-resolution images of the proposals via the dedicated field. Maximum size of the .zip file: 100MB
In the evaluation of your submissions the Sponsor will take into account the following criteria:
Technical feasibility 4/5
Economic sustainability 4/5
Awards:- 1°: €4000
The selection of the winner by the Sponsor will be the result of an unquestionable evaluation and it will take into account originality, feasibility and consistency of submitted projects with the presented brief.
Extra Award (option right fee)
For the duration of the option right, the Sponsor offers an extra chance to all participants setting a fee of €2000 for the purchase of the license for the economical exploitation of the projects not-acknowledged as the winning proposals.