The Walter Massey Fellowship is awarded to outstanding doctoral scientists and engineers who are at early points in promising careers. That it bears the name of Massey underscores the prestige of this fellowship.
The Walter Massey Fellowship is awarded to outstanding scientists and engineers who have recently received their Ph.D. or are in the process of completing degree requirements. This fellowship was established in honor of Argonne’s first Black laboratory director, Dr. Walter Massey, who is a distinguished advocate of equity in science and education. Walter Massey Fellows will pursue independent research that supports Argonne purpose: make game-changing discoveries and inspire new technology to meet national needs for sustainable energy, economic competitiveness, and security.
All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship and those who can demonstrate leadership in the areas of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. conferred within three years at the time of application or completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Evidence of academic achievement with potential for technical and research leadership
- Research in areas that align with Argonne’s mission
- Interest in leadership and service as evidenced through community outreach, activities to advance diversity, equity and inclusion, professional society engagement, etc.
- Creativity and motivation
- Excellent communication skills
- Alignment with Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
To be considered for the Walter Massey Fellowship, candidates must apply through Requisition 409484.
Applicants must read the applicant instructions before applying. The instructions contain guidance for completing the research proposal and biosketch templates, as well as tips for letters of recommendation and preparing your CV.
Briefly, complete application packages will include:
- Research proposal and project plan submitted using the research proposal template
- Biosketch submitted using the biosketch template.
- Three letters of recommendation
- CV to be uploaded through the application link
- Graduate transcripts: Refer to applicant instructions for acceptable format
- Proposals must align with Argonne or DOE missions
- Proposals from all areas of STEM that align with Argonne and DOE missions will be considered. Proposals in the area of climate change mitigation such as AI for climate modeling, energy storage for decarbonization, and decision science for climate threat resilience are encouraged.
- The following funding model allows Fellows to advance independent research as outlined in their fellowship proposal, while making significant contributions to Argonne initiatives:
- The first two years of the fellowship are funded 100% by Argonne’s Laboratory Directed Research Development (LDRD) Program
- The third year is funded 50% by LDRD and 50% by other programs identified by the fellow and the host division
- Fellows will receive a competitive salary, full employments benefits, and a stipend for research support
- Fellows may renew their appointments on an annual basis for up to 3 years, with the possibility of retention if of mutual interest to the fellow and Argonne.