In the world of grocery retail, the landscape has for a long time remained largely immune to disruption. However, the recent developments of new technologies, the rise of e-commerce and ever-changing consumer behaviors are disrupting the future of the physical grocery store. Today, click-and-collect, self-serving automation equipment, and touchless checkouts are blurring the lines between digital and physical shopping experiences. Still, the future of food might look very different than it does today!
Imagine visiting your local supermarket or grocery store in 2030 – what will the experience be like? What will the store look like and what products will you potential be buying in person rather than online? As the development of emerging technologies like IoT, AR&VR, Food-tech and Big Data grows, we want your ideas on how these tech trends, alongside consumer expectations will shape the future of the grocery supermarket.
Please answer the following:
1) What do you think the future of the supermarket looks like 5-10 years from now?
- How will e-commerce continue to affect these kinds of stores?
- How will the future consumers (Gen Z and Gen Alpha) shop? How will these generations shape customer behaviors and expectations?
- How might Emerging technologies help shape the future physical store?
2) Collecting and analyzing customer data is imperative to ensure growth and can help grocery stores predict shopping trends and buyers’ habits.
- What ways can big data play in the future grocery store?
- What role do you think this data will play in creating a customized supermarket experience for shoppers?
NOTE** – Please be forward thinking (This is 2030!) and use inspiration from as many different sources as possible. We value images to bring your ideas to life, in particular your own sketches to bring your vision and ideas to life.
- 1-10 Scale