Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship program is funded by the government of Japan through the Asian Development Bank and administered by the East-West Center.
The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provides support for Master’s degree study in ADB-JSP approved fields of study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), and for participation in the educational, residential, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
ADB-JSP is a scholarship program that was established to strengthen human resource capacity in Asian Development Bank developing member countries. After completing their studies, scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and share their new knowledge and skills to promote socioeconomic development.
To make certain you are eligible to apply for the ADB-JSP Scholarship please carefully read the Basic Eligibility Requirements and Areas of Study Funded sections below.
The basic eligibility requirements for the ADB-JSP scholarship at the East-West Center are as follows. Applicants must:
- Be a citizen and current resident of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank and not more than 35 years old at the time of application.
- Have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, at the time of application. (An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a 1-year Master’s degree, or a 2-year bachelor’s degree plus a 2-year Master’s degree. This is subject to review.)
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree at the time of application.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests; the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for the computer-based TOEFL; and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL iBT; or 6.5 for the IELTS. Results must be taken from a test within the past two years.
Applicants with the following experience are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship:
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants who have previously studied abroad, or who are seeking a second master’s degree are not eligible to apply.
- Read the instructions for each item carefully before entering your information.
- Submittable does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is important that you sign out from your Submittable account, especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit it afterward, make sure to review your application before submitting it. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or Submissions).
- If after submission you need to change something in your application, contact the ADB-JSP program at adbjsp@EastWestCenter.org.
- You must submit your scholarship application by 11:30PM (Hawaii Standard Time) on December 1 and should have the following documents on hand to upload to your online application:
- Proof of UH application submission (Application Acknowledgement receipt) — Important Update: If you experience a delay in obtaining proof of your UH application submission, you may instead upload a brief note explaining that you have applied to the university and will email proof of application as soon as it is available. You will not be able to submit this fellowship application without uploading either the proof of UH application submission -or- the explanatory note.
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- A scanned copy of your official transcript for each higher education institution attended
- A scanned copy of your degree/graduation certificate for each higher education institution where your degree was earned
- A scanned copy of your TOEFL/IELTS result, if available by December 1
Do you want to stay updated about latest opportunities, scholarships & competitions like Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program then please install our Android or iOS App here.