BAM PhD Position – PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of Computational Materials Science – Interface Engineering and Computational Microstructures Design.
To strengthen our team in the section 5.2 “Experimental and Model Based Mechanical Behaviour of Materials” in Berlin-Steglitz, starting 01.01.2021, we are looking for a BAM PhD Position.
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join in our BAM PhD Position.
Project: Materials microstructures usually contain a huge number of “grain boundaries” and “phase boundaries”. These interfaces can have great impacts on the properties and performance of the microstructure. In this project, we explore novel approaches for designing and engineering interfaces using mean-field and phase-field thermodynamic and kinetic modeling. The results of the project will contribute to the novel knowledge-based design of materials via data-driven approaches.
Your responsibilities include:
- development of a thermodynamic model and necessary computational tools for studying and designing interfaces in alloys
- programming, performing systematic modeling and simulation studies of binary and ternary multiphase alloy systems
- conducting collaborative works with scientific partners in the project
- reporting reguarly to the supervisors and presenting the results in internal and international conferences
- submitting a PhD thesis on the topic
- a university degree (diploma/masters) in materials science, physics or related fields is required
- solid understanding of the thermodynamic and kineticsis required
- experience in programming is required; knoledge of C++ and Python programming is advantageous
- experience in modeling and simulation techniques is required; knowledge of phase-field modeling is advantageous
- excellent command proved in written and spoken English is required
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours, mobile working
Do you want to stay updated about latest opportunities, scholarships & competitions, then please install our Android or iOS App here.
Awards:- Paid Opportunity
Salary group E 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
The scope of the position is based on the guidelines of the DFG.