Over the past decade since higher education was introduced in the Sultanate, the government has awarded thousands of scholarships to both locals as well as non-locals to study in Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
Apart from tuitions borne by the government, the scholarship will also include the bursaries for accommodation, books, food, personal spending as well as complementary medical treatment at any Brunei Government hospital whilst travel expenses will be arranged by the Brunei Darussalam Foreign Mission at the scholar’s country of origin or the closest Brunei Darussalam Mission to their country.
There are several scholarship schemes available for prospective local and international students.
|Study level||Local Students||International Students|
|Bachelor’s Degree||Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (for local students)||Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship for Foreign Students Tenable in Brunei Darussalam (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Brunei Darussalam)|
|Master’s Degree||Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (for local students)||Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship for Foreign Students Tenable in Brunei Darussalam (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Brunei Darussalam)|
|Doctor of Philosophy||Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (for local students)|
|UBD Graduate Scholarship|
|UBD Graduate Research Scholarship|
- Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (for Local applicants) and Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship For Foreign Students Tenable in Brunei Darussalam (for international applicants)
- Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship is offered to citizens of Negara Brunei Darussalam and to the International students to provide financial aid in the perusal of knowledge from undergraduate to graduate studies.
- UBD Graduate Scholarship
- This scholarship is offered by Universiti Brunei Darussalam to outstanding students who are interested in pursuing their studies in the Doctor of Philosophy level after achieving excellence in their Master’s degree. This is a very competitive scholarship and applicants with academic talents and calibre are highly encouraged to apply.
- UBD Graduate Research Scholarship
- The UBD Graduate Research Scholarship is a competitive scheme awarded to quality PhD students with a strong desire to work in an international and competitive research-intensive environment.
- UBD Bursary
- The UBD Bursary is another funding scheme offered by Universiti Brunei Darussalam to Doctor of Philosophy applicants from any programmes offered by the university with the vision of refining local minds who will be the next generation of academics in the institution.
Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (Brunei Darussalam Candidates)
For Brunei Darussalam citizens:
- Admitted to undergraduate study through the Higher Education Central Admission System HECAS – if you are eligible for the Brunei Government Scholarship, your scholarship application will be processed for you by UBD to the Ministry of Education.
- Admitted to graduate study – Once you have received your UBD offer letter, please complete this form and submit as soon as possible for the process of your scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria for Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarship (Brunei Darussalam candidates)
- Citizen of Brunei Darussalam
- A relevant Bachelor’s Degree with Honors (Second Class and above) or its equivalent from institutions recognised by the University Senate unless otherwise stated (for Graduate applicants).
- At least a credit C6 for Bahasa Melayu in the Brunei GCE ‘O’ Level Examination
- At least a credit C6 for English Language in the Brunei GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR Grade B in IGCSE English as a Second Language OR IELTS Overall Band 6.0.
- Age of not more than 26 years of age (for Undergraduate applicants) or not more than 30 years of age (for Graduate applicants).