India Plastic Challenge-Hackathon 2021 is a platform for students, startups, and young innovators to showcase alternatives, ideas and digital solutions that aim at sustainable management of plastic waste and Single Use Plastics (SUPs), to lead the nation towards circular economy.
To provide impetus to these solutions, India Plastic Challenge-Hackathon 2021 has been launched on 8th June 2021 by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in association with technical partner GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit) and challenge partner Climate Collective Foundation.
This challenge will bridge gaps between industry and innovators for the effective implementation of the solutions.
Track 1: Digital Solutions for Plastic Waste
In this track, we invite innovative solutions to effectively track and monitor plastic waste through digital solutions. Some of the indicative themes along which we are looking for solutions are:
• Integration of Informal Waste Sectors
• Innovative circular economy approaches
• Transparent data relay and connecting to national database on plastics
• Identification of sources and assessment of plastic waste collection, management and disposal
Track 2: Elimination of Single Use Plastics
In this track, we invite applications to reduce dependence on plastics. Some of the indicative themes along which we are looking for solutions are:
• Alternatives to SUP items- cutlery and packaging
• Decentralized recycling technologies
• SUP waste to resources
• Design for environment – reduce material use in packaging
India Plastic Challenge-Hackathon 2021
The challenge aims to get clearly defined business case solutions for greater visibility and transparency of plastic waste management in India, leading to more effective tracking and monitoring, thereby minimizing leakages and eliminating Single Use Plastics.
Open for students and startups
• Applicants should have a clearly defined solution
For Students –
• Students currently pursuing Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate course from Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) of India
Please note: No student enrolled in an academic programme will be considered as a startup
• The startup must be registered under the Startup India Scheme by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)
All startups need to be registered before applying for the Hackathon. In case, a startup does not have a DPIIT registration at the time of making an application, they should register themselves before 5th August, 2021. Applications which do not have a DPIIT registration as a Startup, beyond the compliance period, shall not be considered under the India Plastic Challenge-Hackathon 2021. After you submit your application form, we will be circulating an additional form to collected this updated registration information
• Workshop on designing business case
• Coaching webinars to develop business case
• Pitching session to create visibility
• Prizes for winners