New product design contest on desall.com: Martinelli Luce and Desall invite you to design a suspension lamp that best expresses the design philosophy of the brand and is characterized by innovative and/or environmentally sustainable materials.
Martinelli Luce is looking for a suspension lamp dedicated to the home environment and in particular to the living area of the house. The product must best present the design philosophy of Martinelli Luce, a company that offers a catalogue of multiple collections of lamps characterized by minimalism, dynamism, modularity, seriality, geometric shapes and references to the natural world.
The requested lamp should possess a premium look and feel that expresses a high aesthetic level, quality, innovation, synthesis and/or research in the field of environmental sustainability.
For the correct realisation of your proposals, please take into consideration the following guidelines:
You are invited to design a suspension lamp, consistent with the brand’s design values described below. At your discretion (nice to have), it is also possible to propose other variations of the product, and present a collection of lamps composed of suspension, floor, table, wall and ceiling versions. Proposals that offer a complete collection of lamps will have priority in the evaluation phase.
- Minimalism: “less is more”.
- Dynamism: the introduction of specific parts that allow the product’s movement, while paying attention to safety and usability. The Pipistrello lamp, for example, can translate vertically to increase or decrease the height of the diffuser thanks to the telescopic element, while the Cobra lamp moves the head 350 degrees and beyond by rotating around its pivot. (Images of Pipistrello, Cobra and TX1 lamps in the material files that can be downloaded from the contest page).
- Modularity: the combining one or more single modules in order to obtain a different type of light path. (See the Mamba, Colibrì and Calabronet lamps in the material files that can be downloaded from the contest page).
- Seriality: the replicating of a single component several times to inform part or all of the single lamp (see the Nuvole Vagabonde lamp in the material files that can be downloaded from the contest page).
- Geometry: the ability of the lamp to refer to perfect, rational and rigorous shapes.
- Nature: the use of organic shapes and the reference to any type of natural element.
It is not mandatory for the proposed project to encapsulate all the suggested design values. However, solutions capable of conveying the greatest number of such values will be particularly appreciated.
The proposed solutions should be modern and minimal in style, characterized by geometric elements and/or organic shapes in line with the company design philosophy. They will also have to express the feeling of a high quality premium product.
The lamp will have the following indicative, overall dimensions: from a minimum of 50 cm to a maximum of 200 cm per side.
Materials and technologies
All materials suitable for industrial production are allowed. It is preferable to limit the use of plastic materials. Solutions that use innovative and/or environmentally sustainable materials that enhance the high-quality character of the product will be particularly appreciated. LED is the lighting technology to be used.
Context of use
The lamp must be designed for domestic use, in particular, for the living area (living room) and for spacious environments.
Upload detailed project descriptions and images to present your projects in the best possible way. The required images in the gallery (up to 5) must have a proportion of 4:3. Allowed file formats: .jpg, .gif o .png; colours: RGB; max file size: 1MB. When submitting your proposal, you can utilize the dedicated field to upload a .zip folder with:
- 3D files
- high resolution version of the images added to the gallery
- a presentation of the project in .pdf format
Max .zip folder size: 100MB
In the evaluation of your submissions the Sponsor will take into account the following criteria:
Consistency with the brand 5/5
Aesthetic/Emotional impact 5/5
Environmental sustainability 4/5
1°: €2000 (advance on royalties) + royalties (if/when production occurs)
The selection of the winner by the Sponsor will be the result of an unquestionable evaluation and it will take into account originality, feasibility and consistency of submitted projects with the presented brief.
€2000 (advance on royalties) + royalties (if/when production occurs)
For the duration of the option right, the Sponsor offers an extra chance to all participants setting a fee of €2000 (advance on royalties) + royalties for the purchase of the license for the economical exploitation of the projects not-acknowledged as the winning proposals. For more information, please login and read the Contest Agreement from the upload page. For questions about the brief please use the “Have a question” button or write to [email protected]