This innovative MicroMasters program provides an advanced, professional sequence of courses in social work so you can gain the skills needed to empower individuals, families, communities and organizations to meet needs and create positive changes.
Want to make a difference? Reach out, raise hope, and change society?
You will gain a greater understanding of social work practice, an awareness of the history and impact of policy on the provision of key social services, and an appreciation for the research that supports effective practice.
Build on this valuable MicroMasters program experience and take advantage of a great opportunity to be accepted into the #1 ranked social work Master’s degree program for a fraction of the cost.
To apply key skills in working with individuals, families, communities, and organizations to promote positive changes and make a difference.
To integrate social justice values into social change processes and actions.
To understand the key knowledge bases and frameworks that social workers use to guide their work at the micro, mezzo and macro levels of practice.
How social policies and research impact everyday practice with individuals, families, and communities experiencing challenges in their day to day lives.
Courses in University of Michigan MicroMasters Program in
Social Work Practice, Policy and Research
- Social Work Practice: Advocating Social Justice and Change:-
Learn the values, techniques, and themes social workers use to help others as well as strategies for addressing social justice challenges.
- Social Work Practice with Individuals, Families, and Small Groups:- Learn how to assess and design appropriate intervention strategies for individuals, families, and small groups.
- Diversity and Social Justice in Social Work :- Increase your knowledge and critical thinking skills related to diversity, human rights and social justice and injustice.
- Social Work Practice in Community Organization, Management and Policy/Evaluation:- Learn about macro social work and how to have large scale impact on entire communities and systems of care.
- Social Work:- Research Learn about the importance of an evidence-based approach in social work practice and how to conduct effective research.
- Social Welfare Policy and Services:- Learn about the history of social welfare policy, services, and the social work profession.
Certificate & Credit pathway for University of Michigan MicroMasters Program in Social Work Practice, Policy and Research
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Completion of this MicroMasters program will provide participants who apply and are accepted to the University of Michigan School of Social Work an opportunity to be considered for an accelerated pathway to complete the MSW program. Completion of this MicroMasters program lowers the required credits for the MSW from 60 to 45.
Job outlook:- Participants can use this certificate to improve their career in related fields of practice (e.g., criminal justice, child welfare, aging services). This program could also meet an organization’s goals for continuing professional education for workers.
Career Opportunities Include: Child Welfare Specialist, Foster Care/Adoption Worker, Psychiatric Social Worker, Community Organizer, Therapist, Probation Officer
Manager/Program Coordinator, Medical Social Worker, Policy Analyst, Social Work Researcher, Geriatric Social Worker
Duration:- 11 months 6 – 8 hours per week