International Law is the law of the international community and in our globalized world, it is an expanding field and international politics cannot be understood today without some knowledge of the legal constraints bearing on it.
With Micromasters Program In International Law, you’ll master the language and institutions of international law. The MicroMasters program will give you a clear understanding of the ways by which international law exists as a legal order and bears on domestic governance (human rights), war (law of armed conflicts) and the economy (investment law). You’ll learn to decode international news from a legal perspective and to understand the legal rules at play in specific professional fields of international relations (diplomacy, humanitarian aid, NGOs…).
If you’re not a lawyer, you’ll become able to interact with professional lawyers in an articulate way.
If you already graduated in law, political sciences or international relations, you might even become interested in taking your program certificate to the next level and become an advanced master student at Louvain!
Your MicroMasters program certificate will be worth 20 credits out of the 60 credits needed to complete the advanced master. 33% of study time saved!
- Understand the legal rules at play in specific professional fields of international relations (diplomacy, humanitarian aid, NGOs…)
- Make sound legal arguments in order to enhance claims based on international law and interact with professional lawyers in an articulate way
- Decrypt international news from a legal perspective
Courses in MicroMasters Program in International Law program
- International Human Rights Law:-Human rights are developed through the constant dialogue between international human rights bodies and domestic courts, in a search that crosses geographical, cultural and legal boundaries. The result is a unique human rights grammar, which this course shall discuss and question, examining the sources of human rights, the rights of individuals, the duties of States, and the mechanisms of protection.
We shall rely extensively on comparative material from different jurisdictions, to study a wide range of topics including, religious freedom in multicultural societies, human rights in employment relationships, economic and social rights in development, or human rights in the context of the fight against terrorism.
- International Law:- Learn about the Law of the International Community, including how International Law is created, applied and upheld in today’s world.
International Humanitarian Law:- Learn how international law regulates armed conflicts, protects individuals in wartime, and guarantees minimum compliance.
International Investment Law:- Learn the features and dynamics of an important field of international law that grants rights to foreign investors to foster States’ development.
Certificate & credit pathway for MicroMasters Program in International Law:-
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Study in Belgium (near Brussels)! Learners who complete the MicroMasters program may register in the (Residential) Advanced Master (LL.M.) in International Law.
Each MOOC in this MicroMasters program is worth 5 credits. Therefore the entire MicroMasters program is valued at 20 credits, or 33% of the full residential master’s program. As this is a specialized master program, you need to be graduated in law (master in law), in international relations or in political sciences in order to apply to the advanced master.
- Career opportunities include: Attorneys, political scientists, journalists, economists, activists and NGO specialists
- members of the armed forces, Civil servants, members of governmental and intergovernmental organizations, diplomats, embassy staff
Duration:- 1 year 5 – 9 hours per week
Cost:- $540 For the full program experience