We are really excited to bring you the People.Planet.Product. Student Design Challenge in partnership with The Washing Machine Project!
Did you know that 70% of the world’s population lacks access to an electric washing machine? That’s why The Washing Machine project was founded – to help alleviate the burden of handwashing clothes by providing displaced and low-income communities and households with an accessible, off grid washing solution. The Washing Machine Project have produced a manual, crank-handle washing machine called Divya that has been proven to save 75% of the time and 50% of the water taken to handwash clothes. The impact of this is huge, but we believe we can do more…
For this competition, we want your ideas to real world problems, and as you progress through we will help you bring those ideas to life! Entering is simple:
1. Choose your challenge, will it be People, Planet or Product?
2. Hit “Enter Now” and head over to our submission portal
3. Complete your entry by answering 2 questions:
– Tell us about your idea (500 words)
– Explain how this solves the challenge (500 words)
4. Upload a short video or audio file to summarise your idea (1 minute).
This is where we really help you bring your idea to life, as a finalist you will get:
- £250 RS Basket
- Access to a Product Designer
- Access to a Graphic Designer
- A Pitching Masterclass
- Free add-on modules for DesignSpark Mechanical
DesignSpark article to include detail such as: Ease of Implementation, Cost, Manufacture, Materials, Supply Chain, Originality, Adoption, Cultural Relevance & Sustainability. Your DesignSpark article will need to be live by Friday 5th November.
For the live final, you will pitch your idea to a high-profile judging panel.
Live final: Friday 12th November 2021
The Winners, awarded to the TOP 3:
- £1000 in RS parts or cash equivalent to support prototype development
- Access to a business mentor
- A session with The Washing Machine Project Founder, Navjot Sawhney