The paperboards and specialty papers division of ITC is the market leader in paperboards for mono cartons, papers used for communication and specialty papers for niche applications like décor papers and thin printing.
The division is embarking on an innovative journey of substituting single-use plastic packaging with fibre based solutions. The vibrant Indian start-up ecosystem can be a key partner in the above endeavors. This will also augment ITC’s efforts to support and contribute to the start-up ecosystem of the country.
a. New substrates with barrier coating while ensuring recyclability/biodegradability
b. Systems for effective collection and recycling of postconsumer packages.
a. Relevant credentials pertaining to theme (at least 1 commercial product/solution implemented)
b. An effective revenue generation model with suitable IP Rights
c. DPIIT recognized startup
Sustainable Packaging Solutions
Online food delivery is one of the fastest growing markets in India and majority of the industry heavily depends on single-use plastic based containers and pouches for packaging. We would like to invite solutions to replace plastic based products under the following categories:
1a. Disposable and Compostable food delivery system using:
• Molded Fiber Packaging based on wood fibre or agri-waste
• Any other compostable material
• Ideas/Prototypes related to fiber based packaging substrates to replace multi-compartment trays, bowls, cups and bottles
• Products should be suitable for food delivery (leak-proof)
• Product should work in extreme conditions from deep freeze to microwavability
• Heat retention (75˚C for 40 Minutes)
• Filling and sealing shouldn’t exceed 45 seconds per container
• Cost benefit analysis
• Comparative study with existing substrates
1b. Recyclable and/or compostable Barrier Coatings for Papers and Paperboards
• Water Vapour Transmission Rate < 25 grams/m2/24 hrs @ 38 ˚C and 90% Relative Humidity
• Oxygen Transmission rate < 25 grams/m2/24 hrs @ 23 ˚C and 90% Relative Humidity
• Oil and Grease Resistance
• Heat Sealability
Must Haves (or at least a roadmap)
• Effective revenue generation model
• Necessary certifications and food grade compliances
• Moat Creation Strategy and any IP rights
• Preferential business arrangement with ITC PSPD
Looking at selecting 3 start-ups each for challenges 1a, 1b & 2 (provided they meet the criteria).
ITC to set aside a pool of INR 35 lakhs for paid pilots (all projects combined)
Project 1a and 1b : Upto INR 20 Lakh each
Project 2 : To be discussed (Linked to benefits not limited to financial benefits)
1. Mentorship to be provided by experts for 40 hours (minimum) over a period of 6 months to each qualified startup
2. Networking Support : Alternative routes to market with interested distributors
Assistance in Testing and Certification
Testing spanning functionality, compliance and special characteristics like recyclability & compostability (for all 3 stages). In-house testing facility inludes functional properties like COBB, plybond, tensile strength and stiffness testing for paper and paperboards.