We’re building the future with steel–and we’re looking for great minds to revolutionize how we do it!
It’s all about connections, and in this second part of the SpeedConnection Challenge series, we’re putting the pedal to the metal as we examine how to speed up structural steel floor beam connections.
The key words here are FAST and EASY – to design, fabricate, and erect safely – as well as PERFORMANCE. Your outside-the-box idea could become an open-source, non-proprietary system that will revolutionize the entire industry!
We want to hear perspectives from all industries and academic affiliations–architects, engineers (any type), construction professionals/tradesmen, structural steel professionals/tradesmen, researchers, students, entrepreneurs, and anyone else with a spark of inspiration.
Right now, typical structural steel floor framing uses simple shear connections between beams and girders. While this is frequently an easy and economical solution, there is a catch: Shear connections allow the end of the beam to rotate.
While there are a few current connection configurations that will provide additional rigidity (that is, greater resistance to rotation) at beam connections, they are expensive and time-consuming to build and erect.
That’s where you come in. A new, fast and less costly way to make beam-to-girder shear connections into moment connections could reduce beam sizes, deflections, and vibration problems.
We welcome your “back of napkin” ideas that we can help develop into a revolutionary concept.
Please review the document at the following link for a more detailed overview of current methods, challenges, and the solution we are seeking: Rigid SpeedConnection Challenge
The Challenge Breakthrough
Can you invent a solution that:
- is FAST and EASY to install,
- reduces rotation of a floor beam connection, thereby increasing PERFORMANCE efficiency,
- utilizes technology not typically found in construction (3D printing, adhesives, etc.), and
- is equal or better in cost compared to current designs and methods?
We are looking for ideas that:
- Have a high FEASIBILITY factor: “This solution can be implemented easily.”
- Have a high SPEED factor: “This solution will speed up the installation of structural steel beams and columns.”
- Have a high PERFORMANCE factor: “This solution decreases rotation at the connection, thereby increasing design efficiency.”
- Have a high INNOVATION factor: “This solution will forever change how structural steel projects are built.”
How to get started:
- Click SOLVE THIS CHALLENGE (above) to sign up for the Challenge.
- Read the Challenge Guidelines to learn about the requirements and rules.
- Share this challenge on social media using the icons (above). Show your friends, family, colleagues, or anyone you know who has a passion for innovation–we all build and put things together in some form or another!
- Start a conversation in our Forum to ask questions, share ideas, or connect with the American Institute of Steel Construction and other innovators.