We’re building the future with steel–and we’re looking for great minds to revolutionize how we do it!
It’s all about connections: How do we connect structural steel I-beams and columns?
The key words here are FAST and EASY – to design, fabricate, and erect safely. Your outside-the-box idea could become an open-source, non-proprietary system that will revolutionize the entire industry!
We want to hear perspectives from all industries and academic affiliations–architects, engineers (any type), construction professionals/tradesmen, structural steel professionals/tradesmen, researchers, students, entrepreneurs, and anyone else with a spark of inspiration.
Over the last century, structural steel has revolutionized the construction industry and left a remarkable legacy of greener, stronger, faster, and smarter designs and construction. However, structural steel buildings would not be possible without the connections that hold them together. The American Institute of Steel Construction is seeking innovative connection ideas that will make the next century of steel construction even faster and easier than current methods.
We believe that by thinking outside of the box, and possibly tapping into the wisdom of other industries and technologies, we can identify ways to make structural steel connections faster and easier. We welcome your “back of a napkin” ideas that we can then help to develop into a revolutionary concept.
The Challenge Breakthrough
Can you invent a solution that:
- Is FAST and EASY to install,
- Reduces or eliminates welds and/or bolts, or uses them in a different way,
- Utilizes technology not typically found in construction (3D printing, adhesives, etc.), and
- Is equal or better in cost compared to current designs and methods?
We are looking for ideas that:
- Have a high FEASIBILITY factor: “This solution can be implemented easily”.
- Have a high SPEED factor: “This solution will speed up the installation of structural steel beams and columns”.
- Have a high INNOVATION factor: “This solution will forever change how structural steel projects are built”.
How to get started:
- Click Accept Challenge (above) to sign up for the Challenge.
- Read the Challenge Guidelines to learn about the requirements and rules.
- Share this challenge on social media using the icons (above). Show your friends, family, colleagues, or anyone you know who has a passion for innovation–we all put things together in some form or another!
- Start a conversation in our Forum to join the discussion, ask questions, or connect with the American Institute of Steel Construction and other innovators.