The World Illustration Awards showcase the great work being made by illustrators all over the world today.
In 2021, we will especially celebrate the resilience of illustrators and the industry, particularly during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Delivered by the AOI in partnership with USA-based Directory of Illustration, the Awards build on a 45-year tradition of the AOI organising juried survey competitions.
This high-profile competition is judged by distinguished professionals from the global illustration industry.
Commissioners value the Awards for identifying current trends and finding undiscovered talent, and illustrators value the connection and sense of community participating can bring.
When you are thinking about what to enter, as well as considering these judging criteria, think about illustration that really sings – work with the spark that lifts it off the page or screen.
It may be that it has come from a personal passion, or challenged you technically – or been one of those surprise commissions that just works.
There is no right or wrong – most illustrators will have at least one project that makes them sit up and think ‘Yes! That’s what I want my work to do’. Usually, those are the projects to enter.
Support & Promotion
Entries will be promoted throughout the call for entries
- Selected entries will be promoted on WIA and AOI social media platforms
- All entrants will receive an email containing resources for promoting their entry.
500 projects will be longlisted for the Awards
- All 500 longlisted projects will feature on the AOI website. Each project will be displayed on its own page.
- Longlisted illustrators will receive a digital badge for their website and social media, and a resource for promoting their inclusion in the longlist.
- Selected projects will be showcased across our social media platforms.
- All longlisted projects will be judged at the shortlisting stage.
200 projects will be shortlisted for the Awards. Shortlisted illustrators will:
- Be invited to an exclusive webinar on promoting their inclusion in the shortlist.
- Receive a set of resources on self promotion and creating content around their participation in WIA2021.
- See their work featured in a printed full-colour catalogue, which is distributed to commissioners worldwide.
- See their work featured in an Online Showcase as part of the Shortlist announcement in September 2021.
- Be invited to attend the Awards Evening in October 2021, a highlight of the illustration industry event calendar. (We really hope to hold this event in person in London, but of course, it may have to take place online depending on the COVID 19 situation).
- Be invited to attend one of a series of online meet up events for WIA2021 shortlisted illustrators to help you meet and connect.
- Be offered an exclusive discount on AOI membership for one year.
- Receive a digital badge for their website and social media.
- Receive incredible exposure across our digital and real-world networks: the WIA is a proven platform for illustrators to consolidate and expand networks.
There are two cash prizes:
• £2,000 for the Overall Professional Winner
• £1,000 for the Overall New Talent Winner
£29 per Single Image or Moving Image Entry
£49 per Multiple Image or Moving Image Entry