To amplify the critical voices in the Amazon region, the Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is hosting an Amazonian Storytelling Competition in collaboration with the Youth in Landscapes Initiative (YIL).
We are looking for perspectives from Indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs), Afro-descendant peoples (ADPs); quilombolas and maroons; peasants and women, farmers, and community leaders on a wide range of topics, including but not limited to:
- Biodiversity loss
- Land tenure & rights
- Ecosystem restoration
- Sustainable finance
- Food security
- Circular bioeconomy
The competition is open to any young person between the ages of 18 and 35 who:
- Comes from Indigenous Peoples and local community (IPLC) or Afro-descendents born in the Amazon region of one of these countries: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Suriname, Venezuela as well as the overseas territory of French Guiana.
- And is currently living in the Amazon
Please make sure your story:
- Presents a topic that is important and relevant to your community
- Addresses the biggest challenges to your culture or community, in relation to the topic
- Exposes opportunities for improvement in your community, in relation to the topic
- Briefly explains or shows a project or initiative relevant to the topic and in which your are working on, should it be the case
- You can submit videos of any length and format: short films, interviews, documentaries – anything you like!
- In case you are facing data limitations, you are welcome to submit audio stories.
- Poems, songs or any other forms of art may also be included in your video or audio story.
- Include your picture and of your region in the application.
Remember to include the following in your story (e.g. beginning/ end of the video/ audio):
- Your full name;
- Your municipality and country;
- The name of your community
In case you want to send your video or audio story in Spanish, Portuguese or an Indigenous language, please also provide a transcript in either English, Spanish or Portuguese in the relevant spot of the application form.
We’re looking forward to receiving your submissions! If you experience any issues uploading your stories, we will be happy to receive them via WhatsApp. Write to [email protected] for more information.
The three best stories will receive prizes of EUR 500, 300 and 200 respectively. We will also be showcasing the best 10 to 15 submissions at GLF Amazonia: The Tipping Point, which will be attended by thousands and reach millions via social media and the press.