Bristol Short Story Prize – an annual international writing competition open to all published and unpublished, UK and non-UK based writers.
The Bristol Short Story Prize is an international writing competition based in Bristol, UK, which aims to publish great short stories and promote the stories and writers as much as possible. Discovering previously unpublished writers is central to our aims and we are absolutely committed to celebrating the short story genre and making it accessible and available to as wide an audience as we can.
The Bristol Short Story Prize is an international writing competition founded by the editors of the quarterly cultural magazine Bristol Review of Books in 2007.
- To publish a brilliant short story anthology every year full of fresh and original stories, and to get it stocked in as many bookshops as possible. This includes high street chains, independent shops and online booksellers.
- To inspire and encourage writers.
- To discover and promote previously unpublished writers.
- To provide an opportunity for writers to get published.
- To share our enthusiasm for short stories in as many ways and with as many people as possible.
- To establish Bristol as a short story centre.
- To raise the profile, support and raise funds for Bristol Review of Books magazine. (BROB magazine is not being published at the moment but we hope to be part of its return to publication at some stage in the future.)
Stories can be on any theme or subject and are welcome in any style including graphic, verse or genre-based (Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Children’s etc.) .
The 2020 Bristol Short Story Prize has been won by Stephen Narain (below) who is based in Orlando, Florida.
Do you want to stay updated about latest opportunities, scholarships & online competitions, like Bristol Short Story Prize 2021 then please install our Android or iOS App here.
• 1st prize: £1,000
• 2nd prize: £500
• 3rd prize: £250
• Each of the 17 remaining shortlisted writers will receive £100.
20 stories will be published in Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 14.
Entry fees:- The entry fee is £9.