Our ventures into space and rapid deterioration of natural resources have made us imagine, write, film and design the possibility of human life in outer space.
Space architecture is an evolving theory and practice of designing space shuttles and stations. A space habitat/colony/settlement/orbital or asteroid habitat is more advanced than just building space stations. It is to design settlements for an entire civilization. No space habitat has been constructed yet, but many concepts with different degrees of realism have come from architects, engineers and authors. With open discussions on building mars and lunar habitats, the future of space habitats seems a bit more realistic.
Write on how architecture will play a role in building an outer space habitat.
Research the internet, use interviews, books or your imagination to build your research, and answer the questions below in an essay of about 1000-1500 words and 3 images or less.
In your research, you should particularly reflect on how exactly can architecture contribute to constructing a space habitat?
The views are expected to be analytical, instead of just utopian/dystopian approaches across the subject.
- Why do people need to live in space? Why space architecture?
- What were the habitat concepts, theories, or projects that came close to realism, and why?
- How are space habitats relevant in today’s world?
- What can be the possible challenges while designing such habitats?
- What are the upcoming allied technologies/design techniques that can be implemented as a solution to the mentioned challenges?
- How will the habitat shape the psyche and lifestyle of people over the years?
Prize pool of worth 24000$
The prize pool is dependent on the total number of registrations received. Please check the awards and fees section to learn more about it. There will be a total of 100 (20%) entries that will be shortlisted for the final awards. All the shortlisted entries will be entitled to e-certificates.
Entry Fees:- Registration starts: 40.00 USD Free with UNI Membership