This program will teach you everything you need to know to start using a relational database management system in the Web, the Cloud, and embedded applications. Database development and administration skills are required in most Information Technology, Software Engineering, Cybersecurity, and Computer Science jobs. The courses utilize the open-source relational database MySQL. MySQL and it’s open-source fork MariaDB are used in millions of web apps to persist the application data and provide query processing. Students gain valuable hands-on experience programming SQL queries in the labs. In addition to the applied SQL labs, you will also gain an understanding of relational databases in general, learning how to design your database, so it’s robust and efficient. Furthermore, you will harness that power by learning SQL and using it to build databases, populate them with data, and query that data through extensive hands-on practices.
With the successful completion of this program, passing all courses with a 70% or better via the verified (paid) track, you’ll not only receive a certificate highlighting your achievement from NYU, but also have the option to collect real college credit from an edX credit partner (included in the price!) that you can count towards a pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
- Apply queries in SQL to create, read, update and delete data in a database.
- Apply the concepts of entity integrity constraint and referential integrity constraint (including definition of the concept of a foreign key).
- Sketch conceptual data models (including ER) to describe a database structure.
- Apply SQL to create a relational database schema based on conceptual and relational models.
- Apply stored procedures, functions, and triggers using a commercial relational DBMS.
- Describe concurrency control and how it is affected by isolation levels in the database.
Program Certificate & Credit Pathways
Program Certificate Requirement
In order to be eligible for credit and a program certificate, you must purchase, complete and pass with a 70% grade or higher in all Introduction to Databases program courses.
edX has partnered with Thomas Edison State University, a public university in New Jersey that specializes in adult education, to provide academic credit for MicroBachelors programs at no additional cost.
Please note, credit for this program is not provided by New York University (NYU). This program is awarded three (3) academic credits at Thomas Edison State University towards a general elective course.
In order to redeem your credits please refer to these step-by-step directions. Learn more about credit.
Industry Certification Preparation
This program covers much of the material that is assessed on the MySQL8.0 Database Developer Oracle Certified Professional exam. The exam is not included in the cost of the program.
- Database Administrator ($93,750 avg salary in US) – https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators ($83,510 avg salary in US) – https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm
- Software Developers($105,590 avg salary in US) – https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm
Cost:- Discounted price: ₹32,721
Duration:- 4 months 6 – 8 hours per week