On this year’s Kaggle competition, your aim is to make use of knowledge science to higher perceive the schemes and gamers that make for a profitable protection in opposition to passing performs which will help in nfl playoff predictions.
When a quarterback takes a snap and drops again to go, what occurs subsequent might appear to be chaos. As offensive gamers transfer in varied patterns, the protection works collectively to stop profitable go completions after which to shortly deal with receivers that do catch the ball with nfl playoff predictions.
In American soccer, there are a plethora of defensive methods and outcomes. The Nationwide Soccer League (NFL) has used earlier Kaggle competitions to give attention to offensive performs, however because the previous proverb goes, “protection wins championships.” Although metrics for analyzing quarterbacks, operating backs, and extensive receivers are constantly part of public discourse, strategies for analyzing the defensive a part of the sport path and lag behind. Figuring out participant, crew, or strategic benefits on the defensive facet of the ball could be a big breakthrough for the sport.
This competition makes use of NFL’s Subsequent Gen Stats knowledge, which incorporates the place and velocity of each participant on the sector throughout every play. You’ll make use of participant monitoring knowledge for all drop-back go performs from the 2018 common season. The aim of submissions is to determine distinctive and impactful approaches to measure defensive efficiency on these performs. There are a number of totally different instructions for members to ‘deal with’ (ha)—which can require ranges of soccer savvy, knowledge aptitude, and creativity. As examples:
- What are protection schemes (man, zone, and so on) that the protection employs? What protection choices are typically higher performing?
- Which gamers are the perfect at intently monitoring receivers as they attempt to get open?
- Which gamers are the perfect at closing on receivers when the ball is within the air?
- Which gamers are the perfect at defending go performs when the ball arrives?
- Is there any method to make use of participant monitoring knowledge to foretell whether or not or not sure penalties – for instance, defensive go interference – might be referred to as?
- Who’re the NFL’s finest gamers in opposition to the go?
- How does a protection react to sure forms of offensive performs?
- Is there something a few participant – for instance, their top, weight, expertise, velocity, or place – that can be utilized to foretell their efficiency on protection?
What does knowledge inform us about defending the go play? You might be about to seek out out.
Observe: Are you a college participant? College students have the choice to take part in a college-only Competition, the place you’ll work on the equivalent themes above. College students can opt-in for both the Open or Faculty Competitions, however not each.
- First Prize: $15,000
- Second Prize: $15,000
- Third Prize: $15,000
- Fourth Prize: $15,000
- Fifth Prize: $15,000
- First Prize: $5,000
- Second Prize: $5,000
- Third Prize: $5,000
Winners of both competitions will be invited to present their results to the NFL, where one team will win an additional $10,000.
Note: All participants are eligible to enter and win the open competition. The College competition is open to those who are currently enrolled in a university – verification may be required to prove eligibility