Your podcast can be about any topic and in any format, and it must be a new submission – repeat submissions from the 2020 contest will be disqualified. 2020 entrants are encouraged to submit new podcast ideas for 2021. Whether you’re a seasoned podcast producer or you’ve never even touched a microphone before, we’re interested in hearing your great ideas. Submissions can come from anywhere in the world. It just has to get us EXCITED!
Last year, we joined forces with iHeartRadio to find The Next Great Podcast. Nearly 1,800 podcast ideas were submitted, 11 finalists received funding to produce pilots, and through fan voting, one incredible podcast was greenlit for a first season.
Excited to get started? Let’s go:
iHeartRadio is the #1 Podcaster in America today and produces some of the world’s biggest podcasts. From Stuff You Should Know to The Ron Burgundy Podcast, Waiting on Reparations to Disgraceland, our shows cover the spectrum from comedy to true crime, politics to pop culture… and the one thing all our podcasts have in common? Listeners can’t get enough of them.
But we want to grow our roster. We need fresh ideas and we want to support new voices. That’s why iHeartRadio wants to hear from you. Thrill us! Surprise us! Get us hopelessly hooked for your new series! The Next Great Podcast can be any genre, any format… and it should be what you (desperately) want to hear in the world. Make us love your pitch as much as you do.
What’s the process?
Once we collect the submissions, pitches will be evaluated by a panel of podcast luminaries, led by head judge Dan Patrick. The panel will choose up to 10 semi finalists, who will then each receive $1,000 towards the production of a 10-minute pilot. iHeartRadio will publish these pilots as part of the Next Great Podcast series, where podcast fans all over the globe will vote for their favorite pilot. The Grand Prize Winner will receive lots of fanfare, a special interview on The Dan Patrick Show and the opportunity to develop their podcast series with iHeartRadio! The final production budget for the winning podcast series will be determined by iHeartRadio and the Grand Prize Winner.
So, pitch us already. We want to get your show out there.
*NOTE: If this is your first time on Tongal, you will need to create an account before submitting your podcast pitch.
- To pitch on this project, you will need to submit the following:
- A short synopsis that describes the idea behind your podcast
- A treatment that outlines your series in more detail (For example, an overview of your podcast series that includes an episode outline, description of your audience, personal bio, and your creative approach.)
- Links to your past work/profile
- A 1-minute audio trailer for your podcast
- Casting boards and/or notes for your host or any voice actors (OPTIONAL)
- A pitch video to introduce yourself to iHeartRadio (OPTIONAL)
- Submissions MUST be new – repeat submissions from the 2020 contest will be disqualified.
The iHeartRadio Search for the Next Great Podcast Project is open for submissions from 8:00 am PT on August 24, 2021 to 11:59 am PT on September 17, 2021. Participants must be thirteen years or older at the time of entry. No purchase necessary to enter or win. See Official Rules at https://tongal.com/about/official-rules for eligibility and other requirements.
- Up to ten (10) semi-finalists will be awarded $1,000 towards the production of a 10-minute pilot episode of their podcast.
- One (1) grand prize winner will receive a special interview with Dan Patrick and will work closely with iHeartRadio to develop their idea into a podcast series, to be distributed by The iHeartPodcast Network.