In this The University of Adelaide MicroMasters Program in Big Data, you will learn tools and analytical methods to use data for decision-making, collect and organise data at scale, and gain an understanding of how data analysis can help to inform change within organisations.
Big data is changing the way businesses operate. Driven by a new scale of data collection that provides massive levels of information, businesses are now able to analyse and gather data insights to make better-informed decisions.
Data scientists and business analysts are in high-demand as companies look to use data to improve their business operations.
You’ll develop both the technical and computational skills that are in high demand across a range of industries. You’ll develop critical skills in programming for data science, computational thinking, algorithm design, big data fundamentals, and data-driven analysis, with plenty of opportunities to apply and explore your new learnings through a range of case studies.
- How to design algorithms
- Understand fundamental programming concepts including data abstraction, storage and structures
- Understand computational thinking which includes decomposition, pattern recognition and abstraction
- Data-driven problem and algorithm design for big data
- Interpretation of data representation and analysis
- Understand key mathematical concepts, including dimension reduction and Bayesian models
- How to use analytical tools such as R and Java
Courses in The University of Adelaide MicroMasters Program in Big Data
- Programming for Data Science
Learn how to apply fundamental programming concepts, computational thinking and data analysis techniques to solve real-world data science problems.
- Computational Thinking and Big Data
Learn the core concepts of computational thinking and how to collect, clean and consolidate large-scale datasets.
- Big Data Fundamentals
Learn how big data is driving organisational change and essential analytical tools and techniques, including data mining and PageRank algorithms.
- Big Data Analytics
Learn key technologies and techniques, including R and Apache Spark, to analyse large-scale data sets to uncover valuable business information.
- Big Data Capstone Project
Further develop your knowledge of big data by applying the skills you have learned to a real-world data science project.
Certificate & Credit pathway for The University of Adelaide MicroMasters Program in Big Data
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
The Big Data MicroMasters program from AdelaideX provides a graduate-level foundation in data science.
Learners who successfully complete the Big Data MicroMasters program and gain admission to the Master of Data Science at the University of Adelaide will be granted 12 units of credit towards the Master’s program. The Big Data MicroMasters program certificate represents 25% of the Master of Data Science program, which requires 48 units of coursework to complete.
- A McKinsey Global Institute study states that by 2018, the US will be facing a shortage of about 190,000 data scientists and 1.5 million managers and analysts who can understand and make decisions using Big Data. (Source: edureka!)
- A report by Glassdoor shows that the median salary for a Data Scientist is US$116,000. (Source: www.glassdoor.com)
- The average salaries for jobs with titles related to Big Data are Big Data Scientist, US$123,000, Lead Data Scientist, US$108,000, Data Scientist and Principal Data Scientist US$102,000. (Source: edureka!)
- Career prospects for people with data science skills and training include data scientist, data engineer, data architect, data administrator, data analyst, business analyst, data or analytics manager and business intelligence manager. (Source: edureka!)
Duration:- 1 year 7 – 9 hours per week
Cost:- $ 986