This initiative aims to engage with youth (between 14 and 24 years) living in the regions around the Indian Ocean to share their creative thoughts, ideas, concepts, and/or activities related to tsunami awareness.
To commemorate the International Youth Day (12 August), the International Disaster Risk Reduction Day (13 October), and the World Tsunami Awareness Day (5 November), UNESCO-IOC Indian Ocean Tsunami Information Centre (IOTIC) and the Intergovernmental Coordination Group for Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (ICG/IOTWMS) jointly with U-INSPIRE Indonesia is organizing a series of activities on Indian Ocean Youth Short Video Competition on Tsunami Awareness.
Despite being the largest share in the world’s demographic and the most potential group of people, the youth are also the most at risk. The youth commonly have the smallest voice when it comes to engagement in development, while they will be highly affected by that development. Similarly, in disaster risk reduction, including tsunami hazards, the youth also have less opportunity to voice and be involved in community preparedness and capacity building.
- Age between 14 and 24 years old with interest in disaster risk reduction, especially on Tsunami Awareness.
- A resident of a country bordering the Indian Ocean under the mandate of the Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (ICG/IOTWMS).
- Individual participants and groups of up to three participants can enter the competition.
- To promote gender equality, groups should have at least one female member and female participation is encouraged.
- Each participant (individual or group) can submit one entry only. Submission of more than one video will be disqualified.
- Increase the knowledge of Indian Ocean youth on the topic of Tsunami Awareness and Preparedness
- Increase the participation of Indian Ocean Youth in tsunami awareness and preparedness in the region.
- Encourage and upskill Indian Ocean youth in the creation of content for social media and other communication outlets, in particular on the topic of Tsunami Awareness and Preparedness
- Contribute to the commemoration of the World Tsunami Awareness Day
Awards:- $ 2000 in cash prizes