Big, bold, brave – and tons of fun – these are the personalities on USA Network. With fan favorites like Law & Order: SVU, Chrisley Knows Best, Growing Up Chrisley, the upcoming Chucky TV series, or staples like Chicago PD, USA Network is THE destination for larger-than-life characters who are authentically and unashamedly themselves. So… how about we mash some of these characters together, and have even more fun with them?
Yep, that’s the goal here: we’re looking for you to create an entertaining :30 mashup video using scenes from some of USA Network’s most popular TV shows. USA Network has provided four concepts for different creative approaches, which you can find in the Background section, and you should select one as the basis for your video. We’ve also provided a list of TV shows that you can pull from, but note that no USA Network branding or title cards are necessary for your video. This isn’t ultimately about paying fan service to existing fans of any particular program; it’s about entertaining everyone, and converting fans of one show to become fans of the channel itself.
Cleverness is key with any mashup – it has to feel unexpected and surprising – and much of that comes from some kind of comedic twist, so think about how you’re going to set expectations, and then you’re going to defy them to get a laugh. It’s also important that your edit feels seamless, so think about trying to establish some consistency in the cuts through dialogue and grammar, eyelines, lighting, sound, and music. The internet loves a good mashup, so there’s tons of inspiration out there, as well as some helpful tips and tricks, and we’d recommend checking that out if you need it.
For your pitch submission, we’re looking for you to edit a :30 sample video using one of the concepts provided in the Background section. It’s not realistic that we’d be able to provide assets for this phase, so you should scour YouTube and any other sources you have for the footage you need to build your edit. We’ll ultimately provide high-res footage if you’re selected. For any questions or other project updates, check out the Project Forum.
- One :30 mashup video (16×9, 4×5)
- One :15-:20 mashup cutdown (16×9, 4×5)
EXPOSURE: USA Network owned social media accounts, including USA’s Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- TV enthusiasts of all stripes.
- Fans of USA Network shows and talent. The goal is to convert fans of individual shows to become fans of the USA Network channel and social media accounts.
TONE: Celebratory, clever, surprising, fun, bold, broad, and comedic.
- Videos CANNOT use music or themes from any TV shows. If you need clean audio, it can be provided to selected filmmakers with the high res footage.
- Videos CANNOT use footage with any guest stars in LAW & ORDER: SVU episodes; you should focus on the main cast.
- You can ONLY source footage from the approved USA Network shows listed in the Background.
Take this challenge