Whatever we all did to celebrate the holiday season in 2020, it’s probably fair to say that it was smaller and little more subdued than most year’s, right? So it’s probably equally fair to say that this year, for the 2021 holiday season, we’re all hoping for more. More joy. More food. More fun. More laughter. More love. More family. More friends. And more gifts! August might be early, but we’re already looking forward to it, and we know we’ll have more ways to show we care.
In the spirit of “more,” PayPal will be rolling out a really exciting new incentive this holiday season that’ll help everyone give more by helping everyone earn more with every purchase. That “earn more” message is important, and part of your goal is to develop a :30-:60 video concept that will show people that PayPal enables giving by offering “more ways to earn.”
At the same time, the holidays are still about emotional connection, and we can’t totally lose sight of that. Last year, working with concepts sourced right here on Tongal, PayPal released this heartwarming video, and while we love the spirit of this video, we want to do something different and more relevant for 2021. The other part of your goal then is making sure your video concept can still surprise and delight, with an uplifting but unexpected story about the joy giving.
This two-part goal is a challenge. It has to be direct about the promotion… but still have heart. Practical.. but still joyous. How do you make a video that can be both? We’re not sure.
So, what’s the narrative? What’s the style? What’s the framework for the story? Is it about multiple people? One person? An unexpected perspective? A surprise twist? What does someone do when they “earn more?” Is it musical? Help us out – we’re still not sure. And if you’ve seen any videos – holiday or otherwise – that help illustrate your concept, feel free to share.
The concept must involve purchasing multiple different gifts online. PayPal’s going to partner with 6 big merchants, though not all sell gifts you can hold in your hand. The merchants will cover Travel, Cosmetics, Food Delivery, Electronics, Event Ticketing, and Toys. Don’t get bogged down covering each one in your concept, just know that the video will have to be able to integrate them eventually.
For any questions or other project updates, check out the Project Forum.
EXPOSURE: Videos will be distributed globally across multiple channels and platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, as well as other owned channels and paid media.
- PayPal’s primary targets are young professionals – under 30, digital savvy – and parents, early 30’s to mid-40’s.
- Concepts should also work for a global audience, and not feel too closely tied to an “American” experience.
- Aim to surprise & delight! Think bright, energetic, empowering, inspiring, optimistic, but relatable, authentic, and inclusive – with a hint of charm and wit. Not really looking for comedy, although we’re open to something sweet or emotional.
- The brand itself values: integrity, trust, respect, empathy, collaboration, inclusion
- Concepts should allow for multiple purchases from different merchants.
- Concepts should NOT involve “Santa” or anything too overtly tied to “Christmas.”
- Concepts should NOT involve snow – Australia is one of the target markets, and it’ll be summer down there.